Getting my first SAA and want a historically accurate early copy

Stopsign32v

So what I'm thinking is the Cimarron Old Model 7.5" barrel. Reason being is obviously in 1873 the black powder frame would have been the one and through research I've read that the 7.5" barrel dominated over the 5.5" and toy knowledge the 4.75" wasn't even a thing yet..?? Anyways the caliber I'm choosing is 44-40 due to I want a frontier/outlaw SAA and wouldn't they have opted for this over the 45 colt?

I'm looking for any advice on my choice even different brand pistol all together.

Sounds like a well thought out choice. The .45 Colt was standard caliber from 1873 to 1878 when the 44-40 was introduced in quantity at around SN41000.

I have a Custer US marked old model frame and after about a year I bought a 4.75" barrel and had Sargis fit it for me. Excellent work. I find long barreled SAs a pita.

Out of the Box I would say the 7.5" Cavalry edition would be the most "authentic" in regards to stampings. Others with more knowledge of military history may disagree. The patent dates can be a hang up if you're looking to fit a specific year of manufacture.

I believe Colt sold more SAA's in .45 than any other with .44WCF coming in second. Not sure if those numbers include military contract .45's or not. 44-40's would also have been etched with "Frontier Six Shooter" on the side of the barrel.

If cosmetic things like that don't bother you then your next obstacles will be Cimarron's use of a spring plunger hand spring instead of the traditional leaf spring and the lack of a firing pin bushing. These apply to the Uberti made Model P. I do not have any first hand experience with the more recent Pietta made Frontier models.

For me? I just take an Old Model (Model P) swap out the bulls eye ejector with a crescent ejector and commence to shootin'. That's close enough for me.

Saw your post over on the Colt Forum . .

First, I don't think any "clone" is ever going to be 100% copy of a real Colt . . . but they aren't the price of one either.

I like "historically correct" firearms as well - have for 50 plus years . . but just remember . . . you get what you can afford, shoot it and enjoy it.

I have quite a few vintage revolvers - I have always been interested in the 45 Colt Cartridge because of the history of it. I have a 7 1/2" steel Ubberti Cattleman on the way. I ordered the late frame as I just don't want to mess with the BP frame cylinder pin retention screw. But that's a personal thing.

I am older and at this point in my life, it's foolish for me to buy real Colt SAA whether it be 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation. I could afford a 3rd gen. but why? Just to say it's a "Colt"? If I were younger by about 40 years, then I might want a Colt but in those days, I couldn't have afforded it.

I went with the 7 1/2" pretty much for the same reason you want one. More traditional as far as the first ones made - plus - I had an ancestor at the Little Big Horn.

I have a Uberti Bisley. Before buying it, I discussed it with the LGS where I have purchased a number of firearms. As the clerk I've dealt with for years said, they are about as close to a Colt as you'll find and in his opinion, many of them that have come through their store actually felt better - in his opinion. I have no complaints about my Bisley. Yes - it is somewhat "different" than the original Colt version - but it is a real pleasure to shoot and is very well made. I expect none less on the Cattleman when it gets here.

I'll go out on a limb here and will say that I was a little disappointed at some of the replies you got on another site - but most of them are "true Colt" people - which is fine. If you go with a Uberti (which Cimarron is) and somebody wants to stand back and "nit pick" it - let 'em. You'll still have a good shooter that you can enjoy and which will give you a good "feel" of the history of what it's modeled after. IMHO . . . some folks worry too much about barrel markings or perhaps the incorrect shape of the ejector end - and that's not meant as criticism or to offend anybody - we all haver our "thing".

My point is . . just don't "over think" things, worry about what others think or what they would do or if a Uberti isn't 100% exact as far as a copy. Get what you can afford without putting a crimp in your other $$ obligations, shoot it and enjoy it. That's what it's all about. Others may disagree with me and that's fine.

It's sort of like this . . Uberti or Colt . . Ford or Mercedes. In both cases, one will cost a whole lot more than the other . . . but they both will get you to your destination.

Best of luck to you and enjoy whatever you get! :)

I try to stay clear of the imported SAA clones, and if I were looking for a single action of that type to keep the rest of my life, I would consider one of the US Firearms revolvers. You just can't beat their quality and there are still a lot of them to be had. I have some here in 45 colt and 44/40 as well as other calibers, and they put the 3rd. Gen Colts to shame as far as fit and finish.

Old Stony,
It just goes to show you, a well fitted Uberti can in fact be a "top dog"!! It really is how much attention is put into the fitting of (the inside as well as the outside) a good base gun.
It's like taking a Cattleman and making it run better than a top line El Patron.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Oops, you did know they were imported . . .I believe whole at first, then parts in the white . . .

Last edited:
Back