Getting my collection into shape

MillerTeer

Inactive
Hey guys,

This is my first post and I was looking to get some advice.

I'm very much a minimalist. I like to have a few possessions that handle most of my needs pretty well.

I currently own a Glock 30, S&W 629, Ruger 10/22, and Remington 870.

I am currently waiting to hear back on a few police applications, and if those don't work out, I've been talking with a recruiter about possibly joining the Army Rangers- I am very fit and my other hobby is MMA cage fighting, so yes I believe I can handle that.

I can't get around to shooting my 30 and 629 as much as I would like because of the price of ammo, and I love the 10/22 and 870 except I don't think the 10/22 is going to prepare me for the military/police and the only range I have nearby charges extra to shoot long guns above pistol caliber.

I'm thinking of getting a 9mm pistol and trading the 30 and 629; something like the 92 or a CZ75. I was also considering getting some type of AR-15 in .22.

Does anyone have any sort of suggestions on good guns I can practice with, that won't break the bank, but I could still train with to prepare me for what the military uses, and would still have application in CCW/Home defense?

I know I'm asking a lot, but maybe you guys have some creative ideas.

During my time in the Army (including Vietnam) I carried a S&W .38, a Colt 1911, an M-16, and a Remington 870. A Ruger SR9 won't break the bank and I enjoy shooting mine. An AR would be nice for training but it should be a center-fire, not a rimfire .22. A .223 AR semi-auto would obviously be an excellent choice. I am not familiar with current firearms in use in the many military "units". For home defense a short barrel pump or semi-auto shotgun such as my Rem. 870 HD is probably the best alternative.

A CZ75 is a great handgun and I would not choose any other 9mm if I had the choice. That said, I would look at what you might be using. I believe the army is using some form of Beretta 92 still (don't quote me on that) while most police departments seem to be using Glock or Sig from what I see. Maybe give a thought to finding out what your local departments are using and get one of those.

I have found the Smith and Wesson mp15-22 to be a great rimfire AR trainer

As cheap as AR's are these days and as expensive as 22lr ammo is you may as well plunk down $500 for an entry level AR. The weapon will be about 20% more and the ammo twice as much but the value will be greater. Most police departments use an AR rifle and a pump shotgun in addition to whatever pistol they employ. You spend more, you get more. You already have a .22 shooter.

Depending upon your home situation an AR is a good HD weapon also. The 870 or a pistol may be a better choice if you have a lot of close neighbors.

For home defense, the AR loaded with light fragmenting rounds (such as 55 grain V-max) has been shown to tumble and fragment very quickly through walls and pose less collateral damage than a shotgun loaded with buckshot or slugs (the only serious defensive options) or a handgun with hollow points. Just a note to the last comment.

I hear that a bit and a couple of things stick out at me to think about.

Firstly I am not sure how reliably the bullet will fragment and not pose a danger to someone on the other side of a wall. I know of no varmint ammunition that is tested, sold and specified for this purpose. It could be the ammo makers know something of this and are not willing to sign up for the associated liability. Makes me wonder if anyone should.

Secondly the performance of varmint rounds is completely sub par in regards to penetration. So if the bullet does fragment it may not provide adequate stopping power.

Third you are making an assumption you are going to hit dry wall or some kind of wall instead of your intended target. If you are missing to begin with that is not a great assumption. The bullet could go out a window, open door etc and then travel several hundred meters without falling off much and hit an unintended target.

Back