Getting into Trap..help!

bmxstreet15

I am 19 and i am wanting to get into the competitive side of Trap shooting. My problem is that i dont know where to start. Does anyone have some recomendations on how i would go about getting into the sport? Is there s club or org. that I need to join? Any help would be great.

Find a local trap club and join. Ask lots of questions. Start with a cheap rem 870 or maverick 500. Learn to shoot well with that and then upgrade to a breeak action trap gun. Get yourself a good trap vest with a shoulder pad and pockets for shells. Consider reloading. You can burn ALOT of ammo shooting trap. when i did it competetivly (no sponsors) i shot around 500 rounds of ammo a week. I dont anymore because of health problems.

SW

Thats she thing. I am not a member of any clubs but i have been shooting trap for several years and my family suggested competition. I thought it would be fun. I own a Remington Sportsman 58 12 gauge with a 30 inch fixed full choke barrell. I have used this gun for a while and it is stocked just for me. im 6' 4" tall..haha. So im not new to the sport, just new to the competitive side of the sport.

Do you know anyone who shoots registered targets? Find yourself a small Sunday shoot at a local club. Don't start with a state shoot or a zone shoot.

Another good route is to find a club that shoots leagues. Best way to shoot competitively on a regular basis. Cheaper than ATA registered targets too.

You can visit the ATA website and be sure to visit http://www.trapshooters.com and visit their forum.

It's a great sport and you'll meet some great people along the way.

I started on a skeet field with a 20ga Rem 1100, but was known to frequent the trap field with my goose hunting gun - a 3" mag 12ga Rem 870 30" fixed full choke loaded with #7 1/2 shot more than once. I would second the recommendations of finding a local club before getting into registered shoots...a lot of great folks that can give you lots of pointers - but pick out one of the "old heads" that you like, and listen to him. Both sports - skeet and trap - are loads of fun. I practiced for several years before doing registered shoots, finding the comeraderie of Sunday shoots with a bunch of guys (and gals) a lot of fun that also sharpened my target and hunting skills.

Welcome to the sport, and good luck!!

Back