• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Getting into TFL

Jim V

Has anyone else been having problems even getting into TFL? Yesterday, 1 July, I could not even get the "welcome" page to load, 404 errors. Today, for a while, when I clicked "Forums" I got an internal TFL error page. Was it just me and my computer or has there been others that have had problems gettin' here?

Me too. Yesterday it was a time out error. Today around 4PM EST I could access the homepage but was told the forums could not be found...

there appear to be issues with the SQL database
me thinks the reports of missing posts from last week were an omen of gremlins in the fields

check out the posts in the general forum and you can see where TFL went Bye Bye at 12:01PM today and reappeard at 4:20 PM

yesterday the site went MIA arround 4:30PM and reappeared at 7:20 AM

Didn't Rich say he was heading to the Great Smokey Mountains with a Mac laptop?

Doesn't the site always go wonky when the boss is out gallivanting?

Staph? Germ warfare at TFL HQ?

Or are you saying the system is buggy?

No, wait, you were talking about the mods. Are you saying they bug you?

:D

I think I'll bug out.

(It's STAFF, George. ;) )

OK-
Here's the info dump:
Ever since The Big Hack, we've had low grade problems: Lots of Zombie processes, can't chance remote reboots. As of the past two weeks it's been reaching critical mass.

I tapped member "tyme" for help and he's been hard at work trying to clean up the problems. He's really put in a lot of hours (GRATIS) and has been on it even when I haven't. He deserves a real big "Thanks" for his efforts.

We were waiting to have someone at the Server before trying to install the new changes, but yesterday the Board went down to overload. It recovered after a couple of hours and, today, we attempted an unattended reboot. Took a good hour to come back. After that I needed to repair the database (that's why I moved all the files and y'all got the "Page Not Found" error).....I'm in the mountains with a dial up that disconnects every 20 minutes! :mad:

We're not out of the woods yet (original problem on the reboot remains a mystery), but tyme has the system killing Zombies quicker than a coyote on a jack. Memory usage looks better. Even keel.
Rich

So Rich, you are saying while the board has problems, you have the tyme to get it fixed?

(don't hit me!!) ;)

I don't know about the zombie processes being any better, but the memory usage is much better thanks to the new kernel, and the machine actually boots now (broken nic, apparently; they had that figured out and I didn't believe them).

Apache and modssl were upgraded because of potential security issues with both.

Some mysterious problems, likely caused all the redhat networking setup scripts, with the tfl and swat ip aliases have been worked around.

That's all the news that's fit to print.

Why is the system generating zombies? I've only ever seen that when a parent process was blocked and not reaping its children...which is usually a sign of something worse.

Or if you're using NFS. Which could (I suppose) qualify as that "something worse"... :D

I don't know anything about what's going on behind the scenes on TFL's server, but if I can lend a hand, let me know; I'm a UNIX networking software weenie and part-time UNIX admin...

-BP

BP-
tyme can better respond. All I know is that, with the new kernel rebuild, the problem of zombies is pretty much under control. We just took the server off line for a few minutes to configure it to use all the Ram.

Our resident Linux Guru believes that we may not need to up the Ram as the new kernel is better utilizing it.
Rich

brokenpaw, yeah, but in this case the parent process doesn't actually exist. The parents are T (stopped), but strace/gdb/etc can't attach.

The only mention of a similar problem I've found is at http://www.sysdump.com/kernel/8-28-01/1126.html

On TFL all sorts of processes are not getting reaped; most file commands (ls, mv, chmod...) and some others like gawk. The parent processes just don't seem to be waiting for their children to exit.

The latest redhat glibc packages allegedly fixed some bug of this type, but I'm starting to suspect there's another similar but that's just very rare or they introduced some other bug in the process of fixing it. Either that or Alan managed to sneak in a patch after 2.4.3 from -ac that broke something, and it's never been identified as a problem. Or both.

Oh, yeah, no NFS. :)

The latest redhat glibc packages allegedly fixed some bug of this type, but I'm starting to suspect there's another similar but that's just very rare or they introduced some other bug in the process of fixing it. Either that or Alan managed to sneak in a patch after 2.4.3 from -ac that broke something, and it's never been identified as a problem. Or both.
Lovely. I'm not as up on the 2.4.x kernel series as I am the 2.2.x series. I run a couple of 2.2.18 servers, but they're not loaded anywhere near to the level that TFL is, so I've never really bothered upgrading them.

It's definitely odd that regular processes like ls are behaving as you describe; do they do it all the time, or only when the system is under heavy load?

-BP

It happens all the time. When I mentioned it on irc, rick van riel claimed he'd never seen that before. There's potentially a way to debug it but it's going to require at least another reboot.

Back