Getting choke tubes installed?

rcase1234

So I have a 30" with a fixed full choke. And I want to get some threads out in there for choke tubes. How does this work? Do they have to cut part of my barrel off? Or can they just open up the full choke to a cylinder and put threads in there? I've heard both so that's why I ask.

Briley Mfg. is probably the best known installer of choke tubes. They are very good, honest, and quick. Give them a call and they'll answer your questions. I've dealt with them in the past for some big ticket items and they've always been as honest as the day is long and do outstanding work.

The barrel is reamed and threaded. No need to cut it off. Here is one of the better folks, with an excellent reputation. Do a Google for yourself to see what folks have to say about him.

Mike Orlen Gunsmithing
79 Salem Street
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 256-1630
fax (413) 253-5665
michael.orlen@verizon.net

I wouldn't say that. I haven't dealt with or interacted with either business entity, nor do I advocate either. But I am pointing out that some people are more secure with a larger entity like XYZ Manufacturing, since 1898 vs Mom and Pop Artisan Works since 1983.

Mike does good work for standard stuff, but if you need thin wall or something similar, Briley is still the 800 pound gorilla in the room

+1 for the Mike Orlen reputation. I am very well satisfied with his installation of choke tubes in my Franchi AL 48.

I am sure Briley does good work, their price just didn't fit my pocket book:)

Briley isn't cheap ....and I have not been to Mike Orlon's shop or ever talked to him...so I don't know if he's capable or not / I'll trust your judgement on that ....

But Briley has done work for a number of guys I know....with no major issues at all ....and stood behind their work when minor issues showed up. For me, that's part of it..../ have to go with who I'd trust to do the work ( unless I did it myself )...:D ..... same with Kolar and Krieghoff...all 3 are very good shops.

Briley and Mike Orlen are the only two I would personally vouch for. Mike doesn't have all the tooling Briley does, but he is much less expensive and usually faster. If Mike can't do a first class job, he won't take it on. Briley can do almost anything. Mike can install choke tubes in practically any single barrel gun, and he has published a write up of how he does it, and it is right.

Back