Getting back into the clay game.

Rob228

I grew up shooting skeet with my father twice a week, in addition to competing in small bore sporter-rifle. As I've aged (I'm at the ripe old age of 33) I found myself lacking enjoyment in my shooting endeavors, as carbine and pistol shooting too closely resemble work (I did quite a bit of carbine and pistol shooting for work) and precision rifle is nothing but stress inducing for me. I recently did fairly well when selling my house, and finished my degree resulting in a fairly significant promotion (E-7 to 0-1) and finally bought what I consider a "nice" shotgun. I own several "good" shotguns (all 870's of varying age) but never one that I thought was just place "nice". I know that it is barely scratching the surface when it comes to what you can buy, however this is my entry back into the shooting sports that are just pure fun. Looking to join a Sporting Clays club somewhere around Dayton OH if anyone knows a good one. I've been out of the clays game for 16 years, but here is the A400 that is going to get me back into it.

There is nothing made that will kill clay pigeons any better than your gun, if it fits you reasonably well. Some are just glitzier and you don't have to bend over and pick up empties - at your age that's moot. And there are some of us who prefer semi autos.
There was a Sporting range up near Dayton, I forget the name, but there are several places near you. Good shooting.

The A400 is a good gun; yours is a lighter version weighing in about 7#; I have the blue "smurf" version which weighs 8# and it smokes the targets (when I do MY part). Mine will shoot 3/4 oz reloads and it is great.
I added the Briley mag cap weight to get to 8# - it really helped smooth out my swing; if you find yourself swinging too "whippy", check out the weights - you can add 2oz increments to get your desired swing dynamics.

The Cardinal and Blackwing are both north of Columbus I believe.

In Kentucky there is Elk Creek and Jefferson which is around Louisville.

Thanks Krezyhorse, I will start checking them out over the next few weeks.

E-7 to 0-1 is a promotion? Just kidding. I never got past E-5 and then I was busted down to E-4.

Allegedly, at the moment it feels like I'm starting back down at the bottom again.

Back