Getting a Savage 111 to accept box mags

Medic101

I wanted to start with a 110 series series or a remington 700. I had been leaning toward the 700 due to the ability to easily upgrade it to accept box mags, but yesterday I found a screaming deal on a used 111 in 30-06, and I'm wondering if there's any easy way to get it to accept box mags (AIC preferred) without too steep an investment. If it helps the stock was my 1st intended upgrade

Doesn't it already have a box mag? A detachable 4 rnd mag is what came up when I did a search. Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP .30-06. Is yours different??

Most of the Savages did not come with DBMs. There is a company down in Sarasota Fl that makes DBMs for 700s. I don't know whether or not they make them for Savages.

If i'm thinking right, the mags you mention are for short actions.
Your gonna want something longer.

Either way your gonna need to get a new bottom metal kit.
As i said, e-sarco and Pacific Tool and Gauge are probably your best sources.

Doyle said:
There is a company down in Sarasota Fl that makes DBMs for 700s.

If you're talking about CDI Precision bottom metal who made DBM bottom metal for Rem, Savage, and many others, they are no longer in business. Unfortunately the owner passed away suddenly back in August, and the business has shut it's doors. If you need help with the bottom metal I think Chad Dixon over at Long Rifles was helping out while the family closed the business.

Your best bet for bottom metal that accepts AI magazines is probably the PT&G Stealth bottom metal. The second best option if you're looking to replace the stock is a chassis system. Oryx will be the most affordable option if you go that route.

Unfortunately the owner passed away suddenly back in August, and the business has shut it's doors.

Dang, that is sad to hear. Back when I lived down there I sold him a Win '94 and he also did several FFL transfers for me.

Back