Getting a plated 185gr fp to play nice in my 1911

libiglou

Hi Everyone

Here's my dilemma. I bought some Rmr plated 185gr Fp for the first time and I'm having an issue running them in my colt gold cup. I'm getting FTE and FTF with every mag shot. The same round will work fine in my CZ97 and Sprgfld XD. I'm thinking its COL issue. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Have you tried plunking them into that barrel?

I have a Tanfoglio Witness that is very finicky with hand loads. Very tight chamber and very little leade.

Try plunking them and see if they are seating completely into the chamber and then if they fall out when turned upside down.

Is FTE failure to extract, or failure to eject?

Is FTF failure to feed or failure to fire? If failure to feed, is it really a failure to feed (round remains in the magazine), ir is it a failure to return to battery (round is in the chamber but the slide can't close all the way)?

I've had similar problems with Kahr and Sig. Two things come to mind.
It could be your 1911 just doesn't like flat nose. If the feed ramp is a bit steep that would do it. If it's dirty that makes it worse.

The other thing is your load may not be hot enough to push the spring hard enough. I think the combination of too long COL and too low pressure would do it. My Kahr has a very stiff spring, the Sig has a really soft one. But they both have the same problem.

Try round nose or JHP, make sure COL is correct and make the load a bit hotter. And of course clean and polish the ramp for flat nose rounds if you decide to stick with them.

Last edited:
libiglou said:
Here's my dilemma. I bought some Rmr plated 185gr Fp for the first time and I'm having an issue running them in my colt gold cup. I'm getting FTE and FTF with every mag shot. The same round will work fine in my CZ97 and Sprgfld XD. I'm thinking its COL issue. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions.
Give us a hint -- what are you using for a C.O.L.?

Thanks to the replies so far. I don't know the COL.(used a loading manual for reference) I loaded up 200 rounds so far and they have been used in all my 45 pistols. when I went to shoot them in the gold cup the problems began. I'm getting ready to load up another 200 starting tonight. Most of them chambered in the colt but I had more of an issue with the spent brass not ejecting properly(I did try a similar 200gr rn and it was fine,although the powder was different). My load was 4.6grs of Accurate n100(I wonder if this is the problem. first time using this bullet/powder combo)

Wait -- you think you may have a C.O.L. problem, but you don't know what the C.O.L. is? How could you follow a loading recipe without knowing the C.O.L. you were supposed to load to?

Bullet shape and C.O.L. may be factors in failures to feed, but probably not in failures to return to battery, and certainly not in failures to extract or failures to eject. Conversely, underpowered ammo could be a factor in failures to extract and failures to eject, but not in failures to feed or failures to return to battery.

So please give us enough information to try to help you. What bullet are you using? What C.O.L. are you loading to? Is the recipe you are following for the bullet you are using, and are you loading to the exact C.O.L. specified in the loading data?

What -- exactly -- are the malfunctions you are seeing, and how frequently do they occur? Every round? One out of ten? One out of a hundred?

Diagnosing issues from a distance is difficult. Diagnosing a problem without any information as to what the problem is ... is impossible.

C.O.L. Was the cause of FTF and FTE in my Paraordinances...and my friends, also. I found that the cartridges would hang up in the magazine. Reseating the bullets about 50 thousandths solved the problem.

Cause: I load on a Hornady progressive press. This batch was my first batch of reloads using this press . The trick is to adjust the dies with all stations filled. Otherwise your adjustments will be off.

At the risk of stating the obvious, autos are more sensitive to these adjustments than are revolvers. ... and progressive presses are less accurate on these details than are single stage presses.

Above is based on my personal experience, your results may vary.

Load in peace.

Last edited:
Hey Guys

Thanks to the responses. To answer a few questions yes I know what COL is and I know how to use a dial caliper. I've been reloading rifle and pistol for over 20 years. Now to the problem at hand. I always check COL with every batch I make and cross reference it with data from a loading manual. I just don't record the info because I've never needed it and in this case I used up all the ammo reloaded. So I just reloaded a new batch and switched powder. This time I used 8.5grs of AA#5(185gr rnfp) with a COL of 1.195. I tested 50 rounds Saturday and this load worked perfectly in my gold cup. So all is well. I'm guessing N100 was the problem or my seating die shifted changing my COL.

Back