German or Bulgarian Makarov? At the same price?

Andrew Bornman

I have located E. German maks for $119.95 in very good condition and the Bulgarians in Excellent condition are 112.95 which one do I want? The bulgarians include a holster. Both come with two mags.

These will be shooters and for my kids when they are older.

Is an E. German in very good condition better than a Bulgarian in excellent condition?

I know that the Bulgarians typically don't have as nice of fit and finish but what about the quality of steel and functionality of the piece?

Hello. I've been most happy with my new commercial Bulgarian, but am told that the E. German guns have smoother trigger pulls and better finish. I'm not a Makarov expert so this is the best I can do. Best.

I have two of the EG Maks, and I'm looking for a good deal on the Bulgarian Mak. The big advantage the EG Mak has for me is I can buy it with my C&R license, thus saving the $25 transfer fee from the local gunshop. I don't attach much significance to the holster, since I doubt I'd be using that holster anyway. :)

From all I've heard, other than a nicer finish, most of the Eastern bloc Maks have excellent reliability, I doubt that should be an issue for either choice. I haven't shot the newest EG Mak, but the other one has never failed in the few hundred rounds it's shot.

Everyone loves their Maks, EG Bulgy Russian.

In general, most people agree that the EG's are a little nicer. I would not make the holster part of the equation. If you can inspect the guns themselves, I would get the one with the best finish and trigger pull. If this is thru Shotgun News or online, it will be a crapshoot. I bet you'll be happy with either. Hey, it's the Holiday season! Why not get one of each? ;)

I was just reading on makarov.com and found that the EG's barrels vary widely in condition depending on the individuals who used the gun. The new Bulgarians are more standard in quality. My FFL agrrees with the above comments and will order the EG for me if I am garanteed a good bore, otherwise it will be the Bulgarian. From what I hear it doesn't matter which one and at that price...

By the way the maks are form AIM Surplus of OH. The FFL is a little skittish of ordering from them because he hasn't done business with them in the past. They are a good company aren't they? They seem to have a good reputation here on TFL.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Andrew

Andrew, I have the Bulgarian.

I went up to !@#$% J&G Sales here in Az., and they were only $99! There is no doubt they were in ANIB condition. I hand picked them myself out of looking at 5 examples. THAT fact, and the low price, were the ONLY two advantages to buying from them. I do know that you can pay a bit extra, and they will put forth an honest effort to get you a likewise example. That's the downside to ordering sight unseen.

One of the guns I looked at was a bright polished blue, with much holster wear evident around the muzzle. Another had numerous rough importer stampings on it, which may or may not mean anything to you. The one that I picked for myself has a dull, satin like blue and is devoid of all markings but the serials and proofmarks. The Norinco I saw yesterday was a sweet bright satin blue with neatly stamped numbers on its left, and an equally well done importer's stamping on the right. It appeared to be every bit the quality of the Bulgie.

Andrew, there should be no problem ordering from AIM. I've ordered a Luger P08 from them, and was very happy. I've ordered ammo from them as well, and they've always shipped promptly. Seems like an honest business. I would recommend you pay an extra $10 for handpick if that option exists with AIM to ensure that you receive a mint new EG.

I've ordered a number of guns from AIM, and my two EG Mak's are some of them. IMO, they're about as good as anyone I've dealt with for honest grading of what they sell. Both of the EG Mak's that I picked up were in excellent condition, I have no complaints.

Back