German mil. arms restoration.

E-Bay is an evil, anti-firearm ownership empire that directly funds the people who want to take your firearms away from you. Buying or selling anything there gives money to said people.

I do not have a copy with me to look at , but there is a add in Shot Gun News that sales such items to restore stampings . They advetise alot of WW2 Axis items .

I have a Winchester proof stamp for barrels, when one is worn, or needs polished down to remove pitting. Numrich had a bunch of these at one time, and I think they came from Winchester.

Winchester proof stamps would not be a problem, but some of those German markings can add thousands of dollars to the value of the gun, so fake ones are a serious concern to collectors.

Jim

Jim, of course someone unscrupulous could use them for something else, but the seller has more than Nazi stamps, such as the barrel stamps for the 98 Mauser, and if I recall, caliber, etc. In other words, pretty much every stamp that one would need for a mil. gun to be brought back from polishing away the pitting, etc. that is on some military arms.

It would be a no-no to use the Winchester stamp on a blank barrel, as a proof too. Of course, those wouldn't have the name, etc. on them. I or any other professional gunsmith wouldn't use such to mark a fake, if we are to be considered a professional.

Unfortunately, not everyone is that scrupulous. Another stamp commonly sold for "restoration" and used for fakes is the inspection cartouche stamp for M1 rifles. Since replacement stocks didn't have the cartouche and its presence indicates an original stock adding lots of bucks to the price, stamps like SA/GHS are often seen at gun shows.

Jim

Back