German K98 Mauser

Mikef262

Hey guys,

Recently I traded a Glock 22 for a German K98 mauser. The only issue with it, aside from not matching numbers, is that somebody tapped two holes on the receiver. It is a BCD make, and one of the holes ended up going through the C in the BCD. I had to get a new rear sight for it, which was only $3. It is a russian capture rifle, and has the "X" stamped in the stock as such.

I really have no attachment to this rifle. I planned on shooting it, but now I'm not sure. It took quite a while to get it completley clean. Total detail strip. When I got it the rifle was very messy.

I have always wanted an M1 carbine. So I decided to post an ad on Armslist seeing if anyone had a carbine they wanted to trade for my K98. I recieved an email today from a guy who has an Iver Johnson M1 carbine D-Day commemorative rifle that he wants to trade. I haven't seen pictures of it yet, but he is supposed to be sending some tomorrow or Tuesday. He said the carbine was made in the 80's.

I am curious if this is a fair deal? On my end is the K98. I have nothing to add on with it. No ammo, bayonet, not even the cleaning rod. I am not sure what all will come with his carbine. But would you guys say it is a fair trade? I would upload pictures of the K98 but it is saying the files are too big.

Well, I know that I definitely want a carbine. But my concern is overall value. I tried flipping the rifle at the same gun show I got it at the same day and nobody was interested in it for $400. I also had a friend who collects german war memorabilia say it is a $500-600 rifle.

I understand that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, but in my mind I am only going to be able to get less than $400 for this rifle. Based on my experience at the show.

I am also concerned about quality of Iver Johnson. Obv6they are out of buisness, from my understanding, manufacture warranty is out of the question. Are USGI parts interchangeable with Iver Johnson? I would assume so, but have heard some post war carbines are not.

From a strictly monetary point the Iver Johnson, if in decent shape, might be a slight win. To me the Russian mix/match is an historically known result of a lost war, similar to the large number of Prussian adapted Chassepot. But the drilled holes makes it a sporterized gun, nice to shoot but of no collectible value, and the original trade at around $400 seems right. Without the holes I'd agree on the 500 -600.

BTW unless you have a FFL, don't flip guns at the same show. Might be taken as "commercial trade" and looked upon dimly by our friends with the badges.

"...an Iver Johnson M1 Carbine D-Day commemorative rifle..." Is a commercial copy. They're only worth money to a collector if it's still sealed in the original box. One of 'em sold on Morphy Auctions last March for $693 including the "buyer's premium".
The Mauser will vary in value according to its condition and where it was made. The D&T'd holes drop the value considerably. As does it being a "Russian capture". Those start at a bit under $500 and go to a bit under $900(ridiculous price though) on Guns Broker auction site.
"...Are USGI parts interchangeable with Iver Johnson..." IJ owned Plainfield and Universal. Plainfield Carbines made before IJ got 'em are of higher quality and are exact copies. Milsurp parts(that you really don't want or need for a commercial Carbine. Pricey stuff now.) will fit with no fuss. Other IJ Carbines may or may not. Universals are a critter all to themselves. Junk unless it's what's called an 'early model'. Best to stay away from Universals altogether.
You really need to know more about milsurp stuff before looking into a Milsurp Carbine. They basically start at a grand and go way up. Lotta idiocy involved with 'em too. An all "correct" Carbine has usually been made that way by somebody with too much time and money. Still a rebuilt Carbine and none of the original makers made all the parts, so there's no such thing as a "correct" Carbine.
Go find a pre-IJ Plainfield. Had mine for 40 plus years and haven't done anything but clean it. There's one with the Paratrooper stock on gunsinternational.com for $750. Make sure it's really a Plainfield.
Guns International #: 101102820

If you are looking for a shooter carbine, avoid the Plainfield. They are not consistent in quality or construction, and are known to be temperamental. If it is still in the box and you have no intention of shooting it, sure, go for it. If you want an original M1 Carbine, go to the CMP and buy one from them, or find a wartime example and shoot that. Although they are "collectible" if you have the "right one", they made millions of 'em, and they are literally on every used gun sales website. Or buy a new Kahr/Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine, they look good and work well.

Back