German Drilling

BarkeyVA

Thought folks here might be interested in seeing a few photos of my recently acquired 16 ga. over 9.3x72R German drilling. Came with a pop-up peep sight behind the top lever, claw-type scope mounts and the birds eye maple case. Gotthilf v. Nordheim, Mehlis I/Thur and Krupp stahl stamped on the barrels. Tight lock-up, but some minor pitting just in front of the 2-9/16" chambers. I was told that the 6 07 stamped on the barrels indicates it was proofed in June 1907.

I've shot it, and everything works as it should. Paid $1340 for it including shipping and transfer. Not sure if that is a good deal or not, but this is my first drilling, and I'm pleased with my purchase.
Fullwithcase6-29-14.jpg

LeftFrameandstock.jpg

LeftFrameClose.jpg

TopLever.jpg

DSC04008-1.jpg

DSC04009.jpg

Last edited:
Never listen to anyone who says 'you paid too much' for something you will only see once or twice in your lifetime.

Nice piece.

That's not something often seen sitting around a gun store.
But where's the picture of the neat business end?
That's what makes it valuable.
Doesn't sound like you paid too much at all, especially with the extras.
Very neat, cool, special, 'etc.
Thanks for sharing.

9.5mm is kind of unusual, the Continentals didn't do much with .375 even though it comes out even in both inch and metric.

9.5 vs 9.3

Jim Watson wrote:
9.5mm is kind of unusual, the Continentals didn't do much with .375 even though it comes out even in both inch and metric.

Yes - 9.5 is very unusual!

That box says 9.3x72R.

Don't know how I missed seeing that I typed 9.5. It is definitely 9.3.

Interestingly, I tried shooting two of the 7 cartridges that came with the gun and both FTF. My friend gave me two "new" cartridges and they both fired. My friend tried shooting my two FTF cartridges in his 9.3x72R rifle, and they didn't work in his gun either.

I need to order a box of factory 9.3x72R's.

I could not blow up the picture enough to read the ammo box label.
9.3 was a much more common caliber in Germany with several different cartridges. 9.3x72R is the most common.

Isn't that a combination gun, rather than a drilling?
I thought that by definition a drillig was 3-barreled.:confused:

/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_gun
Drillings normally consists of two matching shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel (German: Normaldrilling, common drilling), but may cover a much broader range of shapes and configurations:[2]
· Two matching rifle barrels and one shotgun barrel
· Two rifle barrels of different calibers (typically one rimfire and one centerfire) and one shotgun barrel
· Three matching shotgun barrels
· Three matching rifle barrels

Drillings are sweet when the hunting includes both rifle and shotgun game.

I have used mine to take birds, small game and deer. The season opens early in VT for bear and birds are open at that time also. I carry mine but have not got a shot at a bear yet.

jbdrillingij

This one is a 16 ga. sxs shotgun over the rifle barrel. Front trigger fires the right shotgun barrel and also fires the rifle when the top lever is pushed to the right. Back trigger fires the left barrel.

Savage99, when was your drilling made, and what length shotgun shells do you use for upland birds?

Mine may be a pre war. It's a Sauer 16X16X8X57JR with the short euro shot chambers. I have shot the regular 16's in it but now I have some of the shorter shells. They were made in New Hampshire.

7b005ezrj

005ezr.jpg

Last edited:
Drillings...oh yeah !

It's great to see others using their drilling too. Mine is a Kreighoff in
16x16 with 8x57 jr (.318) diameter. I have mounted a scope to it
using Sako mounts, but it just done nothing for the appearance of
such a nice drilling. I do reload for the 8mm, but by gush I paid a
good deal of money to RCBS to do so. :eek:

Per my recent post, 16 ga. sxs means two 16 ga. barrels side by side over the 9.3x72R rifle barrel for a total of 3 barrels. Sorry I didn't post a photo more clearly showing 3 barrels ( 16x16x9.3x72R).

I got it with that 4X Hensoldt and 1X Weaver. I handload for the 8X57JR and make bullets from 32 Special's that are just about ready at .320". I also have some Norma .318" bullets.

However it's most accurate with the 196 gr Norma factory load.

I have had it for about 50 years or more.

wogpotter, if you look at the last two photo's I posted, the top and bottom barrels are 16 ga. smoothbore barrels with the rifle barrel in the middle of the two shotgun barrels.

Back