German Ammo found

MrClean

Can someone maybe point me to a site where I could get more info on this? Or do one of you Guru's know about it!?!?!?

PC310096.jpg

PC310097.jpg

PC310098.jpg

What do you want to know? It's marked as standard heavy ball ("s.S."- schweres Spitzgeschoss) on stripper clips ("i.L" - im Ladestreifen), and marked with the factory of origin (P131 - DWM-Berlin Borsigwalde), along with the powder, brass, bullet and primer lots, and the date of loading (August, 1936).

Wow! Lots of info there. What caliber is it? Opened up a couple of the boxes and none has stripper clips?? Maybe mismarked? Kinda neat looking at something and wondering where it was and who actually has touched it.

If the headstamps match the box labels, the strippers were just taken off by someone who wanted them more than the ammo (it's possible that this ammo has a high percentage of duds or misfires, but the only way to know is to try it). This was the standard German rifle and MG calibre through WW2.

A little more:

Cartridge loaded by DWM Lot 8, of 1936

Nz. Gew. Bl. P. = Nitrocellulose rifle flake powder, 2.2 grams (34 grains) (I don't know who the maker "rdf" was) again the lot number and the year.

Patrh is Patronenhulsen (cartridge cases), made by DWM and again the lot and date. Geschossen is bullet, also made by DWM and again the lot and year.

Zdh is Zundhütchen (primer) but I don't know what SKD 1128 means, probably the maker's designation. The most common designation is Zdh 88, which indicates the 1888 primer; that primer is corrosive. 1938 and 1940 primers are non-corrosive but seldom seen (and don't take chances). For some reason the maker at one point used a letter to designate the lot instead of a number; I have no idea why.

So that ammo was made entirely by DWM, except for the powder and primers, and was loaded by DWM.

The label was printed by the ammunition loader when the ammo was packed. Marking the maker and lot of every component seems extreme (and was in 1936) but when Germany went to distributed ammunition production during the war, those labels enabled them to trace back on any deficiencies.

HTH

Jim

You guys frikken amaze me.
No sense in buying a rifle I guess if I'm looking at duds and corrosive primers. Maybe I'll try to find someone that would want it for their memorabilia collection.

Back