Georgia House does the Right Thing

Bill Mitchell

Staff Alumnus
The Georgia House of Reps has passed a bill that disallows counties and municipalities
the right to sue gun manufacturers.For more
info,

<a href= http://www2.state.ga.us/Legis/1999_00/leg/fulltext/hb189.htm > read this </a> .

Here is a sample:

(2) The General Assembly further declares that the
1-21 lawful design, marketing, or sale of firearms to the
1-22 public is not unreasonably dangerous activity and does
1-23 not constitute a nuisance per se.

As I said on another thread today, the GA statehouse is about as pro-gun as any state in the union today. I only hope we can keep it that way. I believe the Senate will pass it also. Our new governor is supposed to be a staunch supporter of gun rights, but we won't know for sure until this bill reaches his desk. If he vetoes it we'll know he has caved in to the Atlanta Democratic machine. I suppose that is possible, he wouldn't have been elected without the heavy black turnout in inner city Atlanta. Maybe a few hundred cards and letters would remind him that gun owners still vote, and we are watching how he handles this bill.

The Georgia House did not waste time, did they? Four days from the first reading to final adoption. Is this a record? It feels strange saying something good about a bunch of Democrats and Republicans... but, "Good job, men, well done."

While HCI may have a stranglehold on the federal level, 1999 is shaping up as the "Year of Living Dangerously" at the local/state level. Let's hope the trend grows.
Rich

Back