George -- Your Views on Rebarreling Rifle

sck

Dear Mr. George:
I've always wanted a Ross rifle. I think that I know all the problems with the design and I guess that is part of the reason I have wanted one for so long. Well, I finally found one, but its current state is pretty bad. In fact, the last owner thought it was hopeless, but I also have a thing for trying to save old firearms from the scrap heap. Based on what I've seen and read here, I value your opinion above the very few smiths in my area and was hoping that you would offer some advise (beyond simply junking it). My questions are: 1) Would it be possible to rebarrel a Ross action? 2) What caliber(s) would you suggest (am I wrong in hoping maybe .223 or .243??)? and 3) Who would you suggest I have do it? Thank you - Steve

SCK, these are very interesting rifles, especially when it comes to rebarreling. I rebarreled 2 of them for a fellow when I was in my first shop in North Carolina. Those were both rebarreled to the original .303. Actually these rifles were pretty well made and made from good steel. The .243 could be used although I might favor the .257 Roberts or the 7x57 Mauser. Naturally I recommend me to do it. E-mail me and we'll discuss it. You picked a good time to. I had a meeting with my accountant last week and he's talked me into running monthly specials starting March 1.(I feel like Wal-Mart.) Rebarreling is going to be the March's. George

Back