george harrison (beatle) stabbed

jfleming

do i see a 3 day waiting period for knives?
total banning, maybe colt will buy up all the knives, how will i cut my cheap steaks? jf

------------------
JOIN THE NRA

As a response to the crime on Harrison and his wife, the British government has mandated that all knives manufactured after 1 January 2000 will have a user-recognize system whereby the knife will only cut if the registered owner is holding it.

The new knives will only be able to cut 10 times before reloading.

Get well soon George.

I wish God speed for him and his wife in their recovery. Perhaps it is their good hearted attitude, but I'll never understand why something with his celebrity status and wherewithal doesn't invest in top notch security.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

There are different ways to look at this incident, depending on what you think about guns. If you are anti-gun, you will argue that the British gun ban saved Harrison's life. Otherwise, he would have been gunned down by this Beatle-hating nutcase, like John Lennon was. If you are pro-gun, you will argue that if Harrison had been allowed to own a gun, he could have shot or scared off the intruder and thus never come within an inch of being stabbed to death, as in fact occurred. Or, that if people are allowed to have guns, an intruder like this would never have attempted such an assault to begin with, knowing what he would likely face if he managed to get inside the house.

As the guy concerned was a heroin user with a history of moderate to severe mental illness I doubt he would have been scared off by the prospect of facing a gun and would likely have procured his own weapon. It is also worth remembering that some years ago an intruder found his way into the British Queens bedroom, getting past some 20 police officers and some of the most sophisticated security devices known to man, and sat chatting to her for several minutes.

There is no "perfect" security system just as there is no perfect defence, we, like George Harrison, have to do the best we can with what we have. In this particular instance it wasn't a Remington with double odd buck that saved the day (something he could legally posess in the UK, only handguns are banned) but a classic "Model A" Wife armed with a very well swung brass table lamp that dropped the freak in his tracks.

------------------
Mike H

Where are the anti-gun people now? I guess they don't care if a person is attacked by someone with a knife, even though the results can be the same. I guess the common denominator in the Lennon and Harrison attacks is the evil mind and not the weapon.

Back