George Double-U versus Jack McCain

Futo Inu

Okay, I really respect McCain for his being a POW, etc. BUT, we all know that he is a huge DISASTER to the RKBA via his anti-speech stance (McCain-Feingold campaign finance "reform"). He would have crippled the NRA's voice had this crap passed. So, it's a given that everything else being equal, don't vote for Mr. McCain.

However, which one really is MOST pro-gun?They're both kinda wishy-washy on this issue as I recall.

Um, Joe, Junior is also on record as supporting "reasonable" restrictions.

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

Here is what the NRA has on both guys...

McCain:

Press Clippings

McCain Calls for Hearings on Gun Control.

Los Angeles Times August 17, 1999

"Look, my dear friends, don't think that just gun control is the answer," McCain told the reporters and editors, whom he met as he kicked off a two-week campaign effort in California. "If you do, you are not talking to the same people I'm talking to. The use of the gun is the manifestation of some very serious illnesses and problems in American society, and we've got to address it in its broad contexts."

He criticized the questioners for asking more about gun measures than media violence and Internet Web sites that promote hatred. And he belittled a question about whether Americans should be required to register their weapons as they register their cars.

"A gun and a car are not the same," he said. "How about treating a gun like an elephant? They are not the same."

Speaking to reporters after the ADL speech, McCain flatly said "no" when asked if he would sign on to a bill banning specific assault weapons, like the one pressed into law in 1994 by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.).

Later in the day at The Times, however, he said he was open to voting for an assault weapon ban, depending on the details.

"I will be willing to consider any reasonable proposal," he said.

He said his objections to the Feinstein bill centered on the lack of "proper scrutiny, proper hearings and proper legislative process" given the assault weapon bill, which passed only after years of debate on Capitol Hill.

His proposed hearings, McCain said, would consider all manner of proposals, including a raft of suggestions for limiting guns that were recently suggested by Atty. Gen. Janet Reno. "There's no legislation to pass that will stop a madman or show a deeply troubled person that there's a path to happiness that doesn't involve destruction, rage or violence," he said.

But the question came up directly during the audience question-and-answer session, when retired lawyer Martin Bernstein of Los Angeles rose to ask McCain why adults should be able to own assault weapons. In response, McCain said he would press to keep weapons out of the hands of children.

When Bernstein persisted, noting that he had specifically asked about access by adults, McCain answered brusquely. "Let me also point out to you, my friend, if you want to take every gun in California and dump it into the Pacific Ocean, I'll still take you to a Web site where it teaches children how to build pipe bombs," he said.

"I understand the importance of this issue of weapons but to somehow define that as being the major cause, there's a whole lot of causes."

Bernstein said later that he was not impressed by McCain's answers.

"He didn't address the question," he said. "He ran all around it."

Later, at The Times discussion, McCain said that he favored strong support for existing gun control laws and a "look" at whether specific categories of guns should be restricted. He also enthusiastically endorsed technological advances that would limit use of a gun to its owner.

Legislative or Executive Record
McCain has served in the U.S. Senate since 1986.

He has supported the NRA position on all votes save two during that period, including supporting the NRA by opposing the Semi Auto ban on numerous votes, voting against the waiting period on numerous votes and voting in favor of hunting and the Civilian Marksmanship program.

He voted against the NRA on:

Campaign Finance Reform. McCain is a primary Sponsor of reform legislation that NRA has lobbyed against.

He voted against the motion to table (kill) an amendment banning internet firearms sales

Bush:

Press Clippings
Bush Backs Hill Republicans on Guns

By Terry M. Neal and Ben White, Washington Post Staff Writers, Saturday, August 28, 1999; Page A5

The GOP presidential candidate said he supports raising the age for gun ownership from 18 to 21 and banning certain high-capacity ammunition clips. Bush also would support closing the loophole that allows unlicensed dealers to sell guns at gun shows without background checks for purchasers &endash; provided, he said, that new background checks could be done instantaneously.

"I support them all; they all are reasonable measures," Bush said during a campaign stop here, adding that he was still committed to the idea that "innocent people, law-abiding citizens, ought to be allowed to own a gun."

Today, Bush said he believed it was possible to "have reasonable laws to keep the guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. That's why I support instant background checks." But he echoed a sentiment common among Republicans that not enough has been done to enforce current laws. "When we find someone illegally selling a gun, there should be a consequence."

Texas Forbids Cities to Sue Gun Firms

Reuters Sunday, June 20, 1999; Page A14

AUSTIN &endash; Texas Gov. George W. Bush, who is seeking the Republican presidential nomination, signed a bill Friday banning Texas cities from suing gun makers.

"Governor Bush does not believe the manufacturer of a legal product should be held responsible for the criminal misuse of that product," said a statement issued by his office.

Bush Defends Gun Record, Pushes Teen Sex Abstinence in S.C. Foray

Washington Post June 22, 1999

Texas Gov. George W. Bush today said he would have voted for a gun control bill defeated by the House last week and defended his decision to sign legislation barring cities in his state from suing gunmakers for the costs of violence on their streets.

Bush said the 24-hour check on weapons sales at gun shows contained in the House bill "would have made it harder for convicted criminals to get a gun." Most Democrats argued that the House proposal would have actually weakened current law by shortening the waiting period for some gun show sales. They joined with some Republicans to defeat the bill. As for the measure barring city suits against gunmakers -- a target of criticism from Vice President Gore -- Bush said he was unwilling to "subcontract out public policy to the trial lawyers," as he said the Clinton administration too often has done.

Besides, he said, criminals who misuse guns -- not the companies that make them -- should pay the penalty. He said the gun issue was different from cigarette manufacturing, because the tobacco companies had "deceived" the public about the risks of smoking. However, Bush added, he is unhappy with the large payments the lawyers in the tobacco suits had received.

Legislative or Executive Record
As Governor of the State of Texas, Bush signed:

Shall issue concealed carry law.

Prohibition on cities and counties lawsuits against firearms manufacturers.

Yea, they do both sound wishy washy. I think Bush may be just pulling a Clinton and trying to appeal to both sides of the issue. I would still like to see Bush elected. How about McCain for VP?

Joe

[This message has been edited by nralife (edited October 11, 1999).]

I would sure hate to have to make a choice between the two. Don't forget that they are not the only 2 running and I don't mean Dole as she stands to the left of John McCain As I look at it If I stay in the Republican party it has to be Forbes. Otherwise I will have to waste my vote on a third party candidate.
That is if it doesn't have to be Trump and Opera. You would think we could have a better choice

Joe,

Thanks for the report. I agree with you. Also, he reminds me of his Dad before he signed the Brady Bill into law. Very diplomatic when dealing w/gun issues. Always appealing to the right, yet never taking a consistant hard line stance. Nevertheless, I can't fault him for the two decisions he helped pass in TX. I hope those Bush fans out there will excuse me for not trusting a politician. I don't trust him and expect a few more freedoms chipped away if he gets elected, but a whole chunk hacked off if McCain gets in. Maybe I'm being pesimistic, but we will just have to wait and see if history repeats itself. The American public has proven that they still have not learned from it.....

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Back