Gentry Custom Quiet Brake for HOWA 1500 Sporter

USAF Ret

Hey folks, not sure if anyone has any experience with the Gentry Custom Quiet Muzzle Brake. I have a HOWA 1500 Gamepro 2.0 coming in with a sporter barrel with 1/2x28 inch threads. I called Gentry up. Great folks. They did not know the fitment on a HOWA 1500. The lady said they had gotten a call on the same rifle 3 times this week.

Question was about thread length. They have a standard length and suppressor length. Has anyone paired these two up? Just wanting to know which one to get it ordered vs. waiting on Bud's to clear my payment and ship. If no one has any experience, I reckon I will have to wait and call them back.

Thanks.

You don't mention what cartridge your shooting.

I had one of their muzzle brakes on a Savage 110 in 30-06.
Quiet, it is NOT!
Reduce recoil?
ABSOLUTELY!
Made it about like shooting a 243 Win.
I could actually use the rifle scope to spot my shots.
Rifle came straight back, instead of the muzzle rising.

The new Weatherby Mark V in 7mm WBY Mag came with a muzzle brake, simular to the Gentry. Painful without it. With it, like shooting my 7mm-08.

It is at least smaller than .308 I'm guessing. I use 1/2-28 on my .308 and an ASR Anchor brake to mount my suppressor. I'd contact Legacy International and ask them, all I could google is "standard threaded muzzle with cap."

Gunbloke also has a nice brake for a 270 sporter barrel with 1/2-28 threads. Specifically to fit the HOWA #2. But, the company is in Australia and read of folks waiting up to 2 months for their brake to arrive.

Last edited:
All good. I ordered a Mac's Gunworks NWP No Timer Muzzle Brake. It is .70, but ordered them to contour it to .62, the muzzle diameter of the #2 sporter contour barrel.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

I looked up that rifle--looks like a pretty good deal since I've seen their barreled actions alone can sell at the same price or more. I've used one of those overmolded stocks for a build and it works well for the job though I've never grown completely used to the rubbery feel--the rifle appears to have an added "heft" in weight which will probably help mitigate the felt-recoil. I prefer a moderately heavy rifle over today's trend in ultralight carbon-fiber wonders.

I looked up that rifle--looks like a pretty good deal since I've seen their barreled actions alone can sell at the same price or more. I've used one of those overmolded stocks for a build and it works well for the job though I've never grown completely used to the rubbery feel--the rifle appears to have an added "heft" in weight which will probably help mitigate the felt-recoil. I prefer a moderately heavy rifle over today's trend in ultralight carbon-fiber wonders.
Exactly right. Only a $20 bill difference. I should have left it at that, but liking to customize (which in the end I could have bought a more expensive rifle) I ordered a Bell and Carlson stock. The Hogue stock LOP is just a little long for a Hobbit like myself. The B&C also comes in a little lighter. Plus, I ordered the cool looking Vietnam era dark timber. It will be a good backup to my Remington 700, or depending on how it shoots, the Remington may be my backup. Haha.

I've used the B&C stock for a 300 win mag howa 1500 and a 300 weatherby magnum--nice stock but I still pillared and bedded it for a good fit. I've since decided that if I'm going to pillar and bed something--might as well do wood. If your hogue is full-length pillared it should provide good support for your action. My Hogue ended up being used for a recent 25 PRC build which I still did some bedding on.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7987.jpg
    IMG_7987.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 95
I've used the B&C stock for a 300 win mag howa 1500 and a 300 weatherby magnum--nice stock but I still pillared and bedded it for a good fit. I've since decided that if I'm going to pillar and bed something--might as well do wood. If your hogue is full-length pillared it should provide good support for your action. My Hogue ended up being used for a recent 25 PRC build which I still did some bedding on.

attachment.php
Very nice! Beautiful rifle. I don't do the pillar and bedding. The B&C free floats the barrel. I am just a hunter.

As was said on the thread, I don't like the Hogue sticky rubber feel. It is also a 3 3/4 LOP, which is just a bit too long for me. I am a pretty short guy. The B&C has a 3.5" LOP and that 1/4" makes a huge difference for me. Plus, I like choosing the cool camo patterns.

I got a 6.5 Grendel action from Brownells a while back and dropped it in a B&C stock. That little thing is light and handy. Heck of a little truck or blind rifle.

~Thanks--I stuck it in the Hogue mostly cause nothing else was free at the time (one of onlt two stocks I have that work with savage's bottom bolt release--to this day I still don't understand why savage makes this)--but it works. Length of pull of 3.5" is awfully short! ;)

~Thanks--I stuck it in the Hogue mostly cause nothing else was free at the time (one of onlt two stocks I have that work with savage's bottom bolt release--to this day I still don't understand why savage makes this)--but it works. Length of pull of 3.5" is awfully short! ;)
It is, but I a, am awfully short fellow. 5' 5". Haha. I actually have a Hogue for a short action 111 if you need it. It is the black and green. I ended up putting a gray laminate Boyd's on it with a shorter LOP. Sucker is heavy as a brick now, though. But like you said, soaks up recoil.

Too shiny!
Blinding the game so you can take a shot is "unfair chase".

Need something more like the Weatherby Mark V i just got.

Frigg'n pictures never upload for me on this site, no matter how small i make the file!!:mad:

My 111's are long action--appreciate the offer though. My advice is hang onto it "just in case." I also use MDT chassis a lot.
Copy that. I will be keeping the HOWA hogue stock. If they throw one of those HOWA 7mm Rem Mag actions at Brownells on sale, well I just might do something I shouldn't. Haha.

Need something more like the Weatherby Mark V i just got.
I shoot lots of those in the course of cleaning and zeroing them--love em! I've started getting in the new "psychedelic" painted carbon stocks and cerokoted bolts and barrels.:)Although their new shorter throw bolts are a definite improvement--I'm not enamored of the execution new fluted in-line lug bolts--they require extra force--sorta a "click and lock" to get the bolt fully engaged with the chamber. The older in-line lug chrome bolts while heavier and longer throw--were much easier/smoother to work IMO.

I have a spiral fluted Ceracoat bolt.
First thing i did as well as clean the bore was to put a little smear of grease behind the bolt lugs.
Huge improvement!
But i do that to all my rifles when i clean & lube them.

I wish the bolt throw & opening were longer.
Used a 175gr ABLR in a fired case to find the distance to the lands. Had to take the bolt out to get the round out. 3.630" COAL to the lands.
Stuck with 3.360" to be able to get a loaded round out if needed without removing the bolt.
And i'd rather NOT have to pull the trigger on a live round to get the bolt out!

Are you using an actual weatherby magnum cartridge? The non-weatherby chamberings seem to usually have the conventional bolt lugs which close differently from the in-line lugs. I can't speak for Weatherby--but my guess is they went with the shorter throw to address the historic tendency for a low rear scope ring mount to result in the handle interfering with mounted optics.

Back