Gene Hill book...... a must read

bamaranger

Quite by accident, I took a book out from my local library (yes, they still exist and ours still have books) written by Gene HILL, entitled:

"A Hunters Fireside Book"

First published 1967, this copy was printed in 1972, I cannot advise if it has been republished since. A collection of Hill's columns mostly from "Guns and Ammo" magazine, the stories are short, no more than 1-3 pages apiece. I read through about 50 pages the first instance I sat down with it, and would not have put it down except bamawife called supper. I had read some of the episodes, before, but have not encountered the amassed stories as presented in the book.

HIll's insights and tales of good hunts, good dogs, good friends and good places will stir you deeper than you thought possible, I promise. It did me.

I will have to find a copy for my collection.

Ranger ole buddy, an autographed copy of that book is sitting right behind me. He's one of my favorite authors - has been since I was a kid reading his column in Sports Afield. He has another book called Mostly Tailfeathers which is a compilation of those Sports Afield stories.

If you like him, there is another author you should read whose style is almost exactly like Hills. Look up Donald Jackson. I've got two of his books. He is (or was) a fisheries professor here at MS State.

One more you should read is Patrick F. McManus. I've got 6 of his story books. He wrote the humor column for Field and Stream for many years.

That book is a great collection of stories. I've read and re-read it cover-to-cover at least a dozen times over the years. Like an old friend.

+1 OP I’ve owned and read Hill country, Fireside and a couple of other of his books for 40 years or so. Harkens me back to a more genteel time that I loved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Carmichael was another good writer, succeeding Jack O'Connor at Outdoor Life.
He did serious gun articles and humor pieces, the latter collected in The Complete Just Jim.

Back