Gelatin tests: 9mm COR BON 100 gr +P & .44 mag Underwood 180 gr XTP

Andrew Wiggin

9mm COR-BON 100 gr +P Pow'rball video link

9mm COR BON 100 gr +P fired from Glock 22 with Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB: 579.8 fps, 3.7"

Impact velocity: 1,495 fps
Penetration: 13.1"
Retained weight: 98.9 gr
Max expansion: 0.587"
Min expansion: 0.553"

The plastic ball was at about 3.5" and weighed 1.9 gr.

.44 mag Underwood 180 gr XTP video link

.44 mag Underwood 180 gr XTP fired from 6" Herter's SA through four layers of denim into calibrated gelatin.

BB: 579.8 fps, 3.7"

Impact velocity: 1,663 fps
Penetration: 11.8"
Retained weight: 154.7 gr
Max expansion: 0.945"
Min expansion: 0.582"

The bullet exited the first block and bounced off the second block. If you look closely you can see it on the table just before the block lands on it.

LOL.

Yeah, it depends on what you're trying to do. Both of those tests surprised me. I expected the .44 mag to penetrate much more deeply and the 9mm to penetrate much less. That Underwood .44 mag load does a whole hell of a lot of damage but the recoil makes it unsuitable for defense, even if you are comfortable with only 5 or 6 rounds. The COR-BON 9mm ought to be suitable but I'd still prefer 124 gr HST, Gold Dot, or Ranger T.

For the record, my EDC is a Glock 23 loaded with 180 gr Gold Dot. For woods defense I like .357 mag 158 gr JSP, .44 mag 240 gr JSP, or 10mm 220 gr hard cast or 200 gr XTP.

.357 mag Federal American Eagle 158 gr JSP gelatin test

10mm Parabellum Research 200 gr XTP gelatin test

Nice test. The recoil is subjective and relative to your skill level. My split times with my 44 mag are not much different than using "cowboy" loads VS magnums.

Thank you.

You are probably much better with a big bore revolver tban i and can likely shoot one just ad fast or faster than i can my G23. No matter how good a person is though, they'll be faster with less recoil and a similar amount of training. There's just no way around that. FELT recoil is largely subjective but there is no denying the physics involved. Everyone feels more recoil from a full house .44 than from a 9mm.

You are probably much better with a big bore revolver tban i and can likely shoot one just ad fast or faster than i can my G23. No matter how good a person is though, they'll be faster with less recoil and a similar amount of training. There's just no way around that. FELT recoil is largely subjective but there is no denying the physics involved. Everyone feels more recoil from a full house .44 than from a 9mm.

Recoil is recoil no doubt and yes I can shoot faster with a 9mm. I just like to hit harder than a 9mm does so I do not carry one.

Damn phone. Makes me look "speshul."

Yeah, I wouldn't presume to tell another man what is best for him. Hope it didn't come across that way.

Back