GECO Ammo?

Ben

I read something a few weeks ago where some GECO ammo was tested with a few other brands. I was impressed with their numbers, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about them or give me any website there might be reguarding them.

Thanx in advance,
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Ben--

I don't have any info ref a website for GECO, but I did shoot a lot of their pistol ammo back in the 1980s when stationed in Germany. I was usually sold in the Rod and Gun Club (aka Rod and Bottle Club) and was, in my experience, outstanding ammo. If you can get it, their FMJ stuff is great practice/match ammo.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited January 11, 2000).]

I shot a box through my P-95 a couple of years ago. It seemed to be some pretty good stuff. It worked well for me, and I believe I got it at my local Meijer store for about 9.00(?)

------------------
This brother is free. I'll be what I want to be.
From Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues"

I also bought 9mm GECO FMJ at the same store.
It's an exceptional ammo, much better than
most U.S. made brands, and sells for less.
Very, very accurate from my CZ-75.

Oris,

So where are you buying it? Where is ANYONE buying it? I was intrigued by the accuracy results and the velocity.

thanx,
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

Ben,

Here in Michigan we got Meijer's - some kind
of discount store similar to Walmart, but
it also sells food. I think Meijer stores
are located only in MidWest area: Michigan
and probably a couple more states, but I may be wrong.

I've never seen 9mm GECO anywere else
except these stores. It's in a black/blue
box and cost $9.99, and $7.99 on sale from
time to time. Meijer's has a website and a catalog, so may be you can order it by mail?

BTW, try 9mm by Fiocchi. You can get it
from several catalog companies (check Shotgun News). They make excellent FMJ and JHP. Very good accuracy and loaded hot.
Price is very reasonable, $7-8/per box of 50.

I use GECO and Fiocchi only, and very happy
with both power, reliabilty and accuracy.

I shoot in 90% with the GECO! But there is one BIG difference between you and me! :)
I live in Switzerland! So, the GECO is one of the most common ammunition here! On the opposite side, I don't know Speer, or Federal (just some, out of many) to compare the results!
I made real good experiences with it. What I like too, is that they have just small amounts of pouwder left in the gun. Easy to clean! And no question, it's pretty accurate. I never had a failure in probably 3'000 rounds! I try to find a homepage in english with some informations about it.

------------------

Nautilus,

Handgun ownership in Switzerland has been a topic of discussion here before. Can you tell us what is involved in purchasing a pistol and is it restricted to ex-military personnel only.

What are your licensing requirements and what restrictions are placed on ammunition type and/or handgun type.

------------------
A Person Is Smart
But People Are Stupid

Mike H

To Mike H
Although the Swiss (me included :) )claim about the law of gun ownership it's compared to other countries not to bad. EVERY Swiss has the right to buy Handguns under the following assumtion:
- You must have a clean record of you on the federal gouverment of law and justice. (You can order your own file by mail)
- You have to be 20 years old.
- There has to be no intention that you gonna do something stupid with the handgun. (However this can be proven?! :confused:
If you fullfil this, you get a premisson to buy 3 handguns within 6 Month, but only at the same gunstore! You can order 3 premissions at once so you can buy max. 9 Guns, if you can afford it.
BUT: This premission is only valid to buy a gun! You're not aloud to carry around one. It's very hard to get this premission! There has to be a real good reason for it. For job-reason (Security), if you're a endangered person. For this premisson, you have to make a written test about law knowlege and a shooting test about your shooting skills.

If you get the premisson to buy a gun, type an caliber is free. So it can be a .22lr or a .454 Casull, dosen't matter! (For fullautomaticpistols, like the Beretta 93R, HK5MP you need a special premission with a lot of troubles and paperwork!!)
With the premission for the gun you automaticly get the right to buy any kind of ammunition, except explosiv bullets, poisend (movie stuff) or the one with heavy cores such as tungsten (Sorry, I don't know the name for it in english), all others FMJ, HP, ... are o.k.
Before January 1st, 1999 we had a different gun law, which was less restricted. In certain states you could by supressers and other funny accesories! Now, it's forbidden, but at least you can keep them if you bought it before the change.

Beside all this: Every young swiss man (20 and older) has to go to the military. After 15 weeks of training you fullfilled the basic training and you have to go to a "refresher" every year for 3 weeks. In the meantime you have to store your full automatic rifle (it's a SIG 550 in .223) at home. Or, it depends on which unit you are, you got a Pistol SIG 220 (before that it was the SIG 210), which you also store at home.
I hope that gives you an impression about the circumstances here.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nautilus (edited January 14, 2000).]

Nautilus,

Thanks for the info, great country by the way with some sensible laws.

Regards,

------------------
A Person Is Smart
But People Are Stupid

Mike H

Back