Gas port burr

Shadow9mm

So I had issues with a barrel and the manufacturer replaced the barrel. They upgraded me from their standard line to a match grade barrel, a nitrided 416r. Upon inspection there is, what looks to me, to be a significant burr around the gas port.

Will this shoot out? If its nitrided i would expect this burr to be fairly stout. Will it cause any sort of accuracy issue?

At this point I am about ready to call it a loss. I don't want to waste time installing this barrel and taking it to the range and expend ammo just to have it not work.

I already ordered a barrel from a different maker, ballistic advantage, for another gun. Gas port looked much cleaner.

Burred gas port from new barrel
attachment.php

Ballistic advantage gas port
attachment.php

Attachments

• ba gas port.jpg
    ba gas port.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 129
Just run a jag with a patch down the bore. Don't JB it!

It's not uncommon. Some companies do run a patch, like I suggested, down their bores before shipping. 100 rounds, both your 1st and 2nd barrel gas ports are going to look the same.

If you sell your borescope, you will be happier. :)

Going to get her put back together today. Hopefully get out to the range next week and get this barrel broke in (no special procedure, I just shoot it. Will see how it goes.

I try to avoid JB, especially in Nitrided barrels. I do not believe it will damage the barrel per say. Just that it causes unnecessary wear. It works well, but its kind of the nuclear option imho. I use Bore tech eliminator which works on carbon, copper, and lead. I have only met a couple barrels that needed more than 2 rounds of the process to get them squeaky clean.

Last edited:
A.tight patch may break the chips off. Certainly should try that before anything. JB compound is really nothing, especially for one time use. After the chips break off, it may leave behind jagged edge. Some polishing may be beneficial.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think your ballistic advantage port will smooth out with just a few shots, I like the way they centered the port on the land/groove intersection, too. As for the faxon barrel there's a chance it might smooth out evenly as well as you shoot through it--the biggest risk being if it chips out where the port is tangent to the rifling wall IMO.

heard back from the manufacturer. said it should smooth out in a few rounds, 100 to be sure. gonna try and get out next week if the weather cooperates and do a little shooting and training, see how she handles with the new LPVO. Will clean and take more pic when i get it done.

Back