Gas-operated shotgun for HD

Only gas gun I would trust for serious work would have the ARGO gas system. That means a Benelli M4 or a VersaMax. The VM will need some work and some Benelli parts.

Quite a few very good Gas operated models offered now a days. Models like the Benelli M4, Beretta A400's, A300, & 1301, Browning Maxus or Silver, FN SLP Remington Versa Max or V3, Winchester SX3 are all good choices. They are all well made and reliable designs. They each have their own advantages over each other. It depends mostly which one feels the best in your hands.

While auto loaders at the clay bird games seem to be as reliable as anything else, for home defense a pump shotgun still seems to be a good idea.

A gas gun cycles better and faster and has less perceived recoil, which is nice when firing fast loads of buck or slugs.

Update: I bought a Benelli M4 with the field stock, because that's what my LGS had in stock. I was thinking I would put a collapsible stock and 7 rd mag tube on it. When I looked online, the Benelli site listed their collapsible stocks as only for the models that came with the pistol grip. I haven't picked up the shotgun yet, so I'm wondering what the difference is. Does the field stock not have the same buffer tube? I'm confused. If I can't convert it, it's not the end of the world.

Pump action ? For those not used to a pump it's fairly easy to jam the gun !!Action is designed to be operated vigorously !!

When the Benellis first came out there were lots of dumb comments about it. As a test I took my M1 90 and holding it in one hand like a pistol I fired it -worked fine ,cycled etc!! :p

I haven't handled any other so I can't comment on them.

I have an 1100 that will serve if needed. I have trusted my life to it before, and have been shooting one for 53 years with no issues. Any modern name brand gun should work.

For a couple of reasons I prefer the Benelli inertia system. But I have few issues with any of the gas operated Remingtons. Either the 1100 or 11-87 should serve anyone well. The only real negative is that the gas guns with shorter barrels aren't as reliable with lighter loads. If you're going to use one with a sub 26" barrel you may have issues with lighter field loads. But with typical buckshot or slugs they are very reliable.

cmdc said:
I bought a Benelli M4 with the field stock, because that's what my LGS had in stock. I was thinking I would put a collapsible stock and 7 rd mag tube on it. When I looked online, the Benelli site listed their collapsible stocks as only for the models that came with the pistol grip. I haven't picked up the shotgun yet, so I'm wondering what the difference is. Does the field stock not have the same buffer tube? I'm confused. If I can't convert it, it's not the end of the world.
Due to 922r, the M4 can't legally be imported with a collapsible stock or a normal-length mag tube, and you can't legally convert it to have those parts without replacing a certain number of foreign-made parts with American-made ones:

http://freedomfightertactical.com/pages/922r-faq

Fn SLP Tactical. It is ruling 3 gun at the moment and is fast becoming a favorite of L.E. The Mossberg 930 is no slouch.

Last edited:
In my opinion real Home Defense, Tactical, and 3 Gun are not all the same thing, at all. Most home defense suggestions I see fall in the area of massive overkill.

Issue with a lot of non traditional semi-auto 12GA magazine fed shotguns is they require mostly hi-bras, Very ammo sensitive unless you do excessive mods. (I have a Saiga) For a novas the Benelli M4 is OK. Get ready to spend $1800 or more. ($500 More than the DP-12 i just purchased.) There are some Turkish semi autos that work and cost a lot less.
Here is a Linberta semi shotgun for $400.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...Linberta+SA01LSTAC20+Tactical+4+1+3"+12ga+20"

JMO

Last edited:
The only auto loading shotgun I've ever had has been the Remington 1100.
They've never disappointed.
As for using a pump, yup, you do have to remember to pump the danged thing correctly - they're funny that way.
But there's enough advantage to them for defensive purposes to be worthy of consideration.

Back