Gas checks are expensive!

chris in va

...and impossible to find locally. When I did, they are $45.

Here's my question.

Any possibility I can shoot my Lee 312-155 quenched wheelweights at 1750fps and not need to use unobtanium gas checks without leading in my CZ carbine?

I could try a few and see what happens but I'd rather hear from folks that have done this already. I'm using Reloder 7, 19gr.

I wouldn't. I picked up a 1909 Mauser in 308 years ago that the guy said he had fire "some" cast lead bullets in, and it was so leaded I had to use mercury to get it all out. So, I wouldn't

I say also go with the Gator checks they are like Horndy but less in cost and if you google a search you can gt them right from the man that makes them he is out of LA state.I use them and happy with them.but for what you stated of trying to do you will need to match the BHN with the speed you are pushing the cast with.But for high power rifle and some hand guns i go with checks if you push them fast.Also if you buy them from Gators the guy reduce the price for large amounts you get on shipping.last time i got them from him some time ago.

Yup +1 on Gator checks.
Ebay works too. You can try some Aluminum ones also.
Some guys like them. I keep a few bag as back up for when I run out of Gator checks.

I use Gator for a couple of reasons, first he offers more than one size for the .410" molds I use. One uses the thick and one the thin. Second is the discount on 5K which covers shipping. His checks are VERY much like the Hornady so that when you size them on they stay put, and don't come off mid air and throw your shot out of group.

I still however have plenty in several calibers of the Hornady's. To be honest I never saw the major issue using GC's where cost was a factor though, especially when compared to shooting jacketed. Even when shooting my most expensive alloy the total cost for a GC bullet is still only about .10 per shot, compared to around .25 per bullet for a comparable jacketed one.

I use gas checks in all my rifles and some hot pistol loads. Makes it very easy.

Sometimes I use gater checks, but I've been making my own lately with a couple of Patmarlin checkmakers and some that I made myself. Its very nice to never be out of checks again.:)

Nope!! No can do.
You want to shoot un-checked lead at that speed and beyond without seeing that "dreaded blue barrel streak."__ Learn how to Paper Patch is my only advice.

What really blows is I picked up a GC'ed mold for my 41 thinking it might be the thing for the softer alloy. Already had a passel of checks from a previous Ranch Dog mold purchase so figured I was good to go.

Nope nada, ain't no way they would fit on the shanks of the bullets even with stubborn persuasion. Come to find out this particular mold takes a particular "thin" check that guess what, nobody makes anymore. I did however get lucky and find a member on CB's who had some stashed away, and then was referred to Gator who also had just acquired some so now I am set for a good while.

To be honest I have several hundred of them sitting on the table right now ready to load, but haven't shot the first one yet. Good thing is however If they don't shoot well, (yea right) I will have an ample supply of the proper checks to boost the price a bit on the mold. (sounds good anyway):D

Did you try flaring the checks a little? You can get a ball bearing that is a little bigger than the check and tap that into the bottom of it, or you can get a bolt and turn it down a bit, using the ol' grindwheel. Here's one that Ben did....

See post #16
He did em for PB checks, but it'll work for others unless your shanks are way too fat.
It still might not work on yours.... 'just passing along an idea.

The issue is with this particular mold, and the ultra thin checks that Lyman decided to use for this particular caliber. Fact of the matter is, they offer neither one of them anymore, and the other GC mold I have accept the standard sized Hornady 416 caliber just fine.

Here are the differences in the Gator ones, I have to use the top ones for the 410610 bullets.

41Lyman (.410P1)Gator Gas Checks (VERY THIN)
Maximum shank dia .397

416 cal (416 rifle normally)Gator Gas Checks
Maximum shank dia .393

I id however try the bearing thing as well as a bolt tool on some but they are still to thick to work properly. What ends up happening is that they swedge the base of the bullet out and leave the base rippled or concave. The thin ones work just right and are a good snug fit.

Back