Garand?

Jorah Lavin

Have any of you actually purchased a rifle from this group, and if so, did you feel that you got your money's worth, and would you recommend this as a way to get an M1?
http://www.odcmp.com/

------------------
RKBA!
Madstone Press
http://www.madstone.net/
Gun-friendly Web development for small businesses.

I've used several Garands from the DCM, but I've never purchased one. They are actually pretty good shooters, but I have been issued a "lemon" before. All in all, I would say go for it! I just chose to go ahead and get myself an M1A when I had the cash, so I could "tune" it to my preferences.
Good luck! :)

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!

With what your getting for such a paltry sum of money (try and buy one in a gun shop) go for it!! We have a M1 and plan on getting more from the CMP when the checkbook allows.

We sent the CMP rifle into Fulton Armory and they did some tune up work but nothing major. Your geting a real piece of history and will enjoy it.

I bought one years ago from CMP and last year, I was lucky enough to be permitted to buy an M1D. Time to buy another M1, which I will rebarrel to take the M84 scope.
My understanding is that DCM use to give you a high grade rifle (good wood and barrel). Modernly, under CMP, your chances of getting a lemon is good. What you're paying for is a sound uncut receiver and depending on the money you're willing to spend, wood.

Nonetheless, everyone should buy an M1 from Bill Klinton's government. Do it for the Children!

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Moss:

I purchased two M-1s from CMP this year. One is the service grade and the other the Danish M-1. Both are excellent rifles. You can't beat this.

Fred

I've purchased two service grade Garands and a receiver from them this year. They are worth every penny and more.

Got mine about 3 years ago I had it appraised and was told It would bring about a grand with no problem. It has all macthing parts and the barrel measures out as new. This wasn't a special request but I know I was lucky to get such a good one. I haven't seen any that weren't worth the money.

Joefo

The Garand I received several years back was a desirable Korean War era International Harvester. Unfortunately, the receiver had been hit with a torch in anticipation of cutting. As much as I wanted to keep the IH, I sent it back and exchanged it for another Garand. Wanted a shooter (and I already had an IH anyway). The bottom of that rejected IH was badly pitted.

An acquaintence brought his DCM gun in and the wood was shot, the barrel was fine - if you want to shoot tracers and not worry about cleaning it.

I'm hoping that CMP is beginning to pay a little more attention like they did in the old days. My M1D was pristine and look like it had been recently refinished.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

My question is-how do I get the highpower competition certification? I need a rifle to compete, and I need the competition to get the rifle. Not to mention which all the clubs I know of require NRA membership, and since I canceled my life membership after they sold us out again that's kind of tough.

bradleyt,

You find out about the certification matches by visiting the CPM website http://www.odcmp.com/ and poking around a bit. The site lists rifle clubs and organizations that are CPM approved. If by chance you are a vet all you need is a copy of your DD214 along with some other minor info. Also, if you have a NRA instructor rating in rifle or pistol, you don't need to do the shoot. Oh yes, if you are a full time or part time LEO you don't need to do the shoot. All the info is on the web site. The Fulton Armory website has the info also.
But even of you can get your rifle without doing the shoot, do it anyway. I didn't need to do the shoot because of my veterans status and being NRA instructor. I did the shoot anyway and am very glad I did. I met some great people and a a ball.

Hey guys, I ordered my Garand a couple of weeks ago. Yes, yes I know the official line is three months. On average how long does it take to recieve the rifle? My wife is getting annoyed because I get excited whenever a FedEx truck comes down the street. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

I received my M1 Garand a couple of weeks ago. It's a beautiful Springfield Armory built between July and August of 1943. I got the $325 no furniture model and picked up a Boyds' stock from Midway for $90.

The trigger group looks nice, the barrel's finish was smooth too. The barrel required some good cleaning and once my .30-06 ammo arrives I'll take it out to the range for some fire for effect.

Money well spent, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Joe,
My last service grade Garand from CMP only took about 3 weeks. I understand they are pretty busy with the Danish Garands, and the new rules allowing 2 service grades per year. I sent in my application for a Danish Garand on 9/3 and I expect it to show up this week. Realistically, I'd give it 4 weeks. They're worth the wait. Good Luck.

V450 Gary,
From reading these post, It looks like we are beginning to see the bottom of the barrel on the U.S. surplus Garands. Only a finite number stayed in the country and the ones that left are no longer importable. We will never see the DCM/CMP with original U.S. small arms available in the future!
The CMP will go away when these are gone. This is your last chance to own, at an affordable price, a genuine part of AMERICAN military history. Looks like they have kept a few back to prolong the program, the administration has been civilianized, but this is getting towards the end. Rest assured you will NEVER see a DCM/CMP M16 program!
Sorry for the tirade but!
Best to all, Hank
BTTT "Back to the thread" I only bought one
M1 from the DCM so everyone else could have a chance. It took over six months from submission of proper paperwork to the arrival of my rifle. It came by U.S. Mail a day after the arrival of a Western Union telegram! It was in a double cardboard box and was sealed in an aluminum foil/fiber sleeve that had been sealed. The only opening was a slit to verify the serial number! I got a great arsenal rebuild. Winchester receiver with a new Springfield barrel! I was a very happy camper to say the least!

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited September 28, 1999).]

I've purchased two service grade Garands. One was an SA WW2 , the other was a winchester WW2. I also got lucky in the lottery and got an Springfield 03A3. CMP is hard to beat.

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

I'll jump on the CMP bandwagon. I got my M1 last year. It did take almost six months to the day from submission of initial paperwork till delivery of the rifle, and my service grade rifle is far from mint, but it is the genuine article, shoots fine, and well worth $400 and more.

Besides, there's just something too cool about the U.S. Army sending you a rifle via FedEx. As an earlier post pointed out, these days are numbered! Do it now or forever hold your peace. Do it now and in six months (maybe less) hold your piece.

Wooooo HOOOO!!! I came home to find my Garand waiting for me! It's got a gorgeous stock that only has a few blemishes that build character and everything seems to be in fine working condition. How do I find out how old it is? Not too many matching parts, but damn, she's a beauty!!! Happy days are here!

Can't shoot it this weekend :( but that's ok, cause I'll be in DC for the Rally. Have a good one!

othermarc, may I suggest you look in on CSP Gun Talk. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on that forum with a wealth of information about M1 Garands. They will be happy to answer any questions you have about your rifle.
Check it out at www.jouster.com

Back