Garand tanker problem

rezman

Hello all, I recently picked up a tanker garand in .308 in a trade. The previous owner had bought it in an estate sale and has never fired the rifle. My problem is the rifle would trap the spent case between the bolt and receiver bridge about 25% of shots fired, and would not eject the empty clip. I found the Culver Shooting Page about garands, did some reading and ascertained that the gas port was undersized for this configuration. I opened up the gas port to .109, solved the short stroke ejection failures, but the rifle still will not lock open and eject the clip on the last shot. I have cleaned and properly lubricated the rifle also. Gas piston appears to fit proprerly without slop in the gas cylinder. I'm stumped. Any comments/ advice to this garand rookie would be greatly appreciated.

Rezman, unless there is something mechanical or a broken/worn part in the action, then you still aren't getting enough gas throught the system. The.109 is nominal. You may need to open it up a little more.

Back