Garand Stock Refinishing, Respectable Opinions

The Scientist

I'm sure this is a subject of which some guys may have some strong opinions.

I attempted to purchase a Service Grade M1 Garand with IHC receiver from the CMP program, only to be told 6 weeks later that their supply with the LMR barrels was exhausted before my order was received. Anyhow, I was offered the option of Field Grade, so I purchased.

Hoping for matching wood and the cleaner look of the Service Grade, is refinishing the wood of this old relic something I should consider? This was my first purchase of a Garand. It's solid, but of course has the scratches and heavy dents of a Field Rifle.

I will admit I'm a perfectionist, which is a blessing and a curse. :D

I'm looking for a friendly discussion and respectful opinions. Thanks.

You cannot beat the advice given on the CMP web page

http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/wood-cleaning-article/

I will agree that walnut stocks achieve the red brown color through time and linseed oil. I have a couple of M1903 walnut stocks that I linseeded about 20 years ago and they are turning that classic red brown color.

This is a recent GI stock with linseed oil. It will darken over time.

I have mixed wood stains and linseed oil (test on something first) to get a quick red brown color.

If your stocks are birch, I believe that some were treated with something to darken them, but I don't know for sure.

This is the most beautiful GI birch stock I ever saw. A bud owns it, at least I got pictures. I don't know how he will ever find a matching handguard.

Back