Garand Scout?

Do-Man

Went to a local gun store this weekend and the guys showed me a Garand with a Burris Scout scope mounted forward of the action. Very interesting piece. It had a very nice laminated stock, SS barrel w/ "USMC Match Barrel" engraved on it. What do you all think of it? Couldn't tell if it was shorter than normal or not, but next to a standard M1A, it looked to be no more than 1" shorter.

I dont know about the rifle your speaking of but here is a link for some comparision,,,,the gunsmith is Don Johnson, and he makes a rifle called the FDR, Farnam Defensive Rifle.......its what your describing,,,,,, except in 308 ...
.. http://www.gunwork.com/
...fubsy

I think he's too high for me as well, but the rifle is still a comparison to whats out there........id rather have another bush m1a myself.........or you could by a receiver from the cmp and make it a project and build exactly what you want......fubsy.

fubsy,

how do you like the bush m1a? i was fondling one in the shop this weekend too. i am considering buying it, but magazines are a major investment. can't decide between the bush, m1a standard, or a bolt gun.

btw, i'm looking for a general purpose, all use .308

Do-man,
Ive owned only one bush m1a, and it was originally a folding stock bush m1a prior to the bann......I was given a synthetic stock to swap off the folder from time to time actually preferred the standard stock over the folder..........The rifle was a better shot than I was, even with the folding stock,(it would not lock out rigid, upon opening, you had to force the stock to lock by keeping pressure on it--so it would remain rigid), shooting a measured 300 yds., and using a hood from a blazer as a rest, we were easily able to hit colorox bottles filled with water...I think they are superb rifles, I had the use of one in the Navy and developed a healthy respect for that rifle design....Unfourtunately the rifle was sold with the rest of my weapons and the guy that has it wont part with it....dont blame him...fubsy.

Do-man,
No problem,,,,,both the garands and the m1a are basically the same rifle, with the m1a the improved version.......I agree with gunmart that the m1a is a better buy. I wouldnt let the cost of magazines worry you yet....of course they will go up in price,,,,If you just purchase one a month it wont be that big a chunk out of your income.....just something to think about....also if you choose to go with a garand go to the cmp on the web or call them and see if they still have receivers for sale. the receiver I believe was around $250, a parts kit runs appx $170 and I havent priced barrels in 308 if that is what you want, U can call Gene Barnett in Nashville and ask what his cost for a 308 garand barrel would be and specify the countour, he makes competition stuff.Boyd bros. makes good wooden stocks for the garand and The Don Johnson of the url I posted above has the synthetic for $200...If you decide to do this and want someone to put it together, I will email a name and number to you of the man who builds champions choices' rifles......he went through my cmp garand and it shoots as good as their capable and he is reasonable and he is also located in Nashville.....either way you go, provides you with a servicable rifle......fubsy.

Back