well, I got my first Garand and I
want to change the wood.
Everything seems easy enough to do
except the very front handgurds.
Is there a easy way to remove these?
What are the steps involved.

any information is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Unless the rifle has been accurized, the forward handguard simply pulls off after the gas cylinder is removed. If you are talking about the rear handguard, with the stock off, and the receiver and barrel sights down on a bench, insert a pointed tool into one of the holes in the clip and pull outward while pushing downward. Once one side is free of its slot in the barrel, do the same to the other side. Replace by snapping on.

Jim

Jim is correct, but the one tricky part is getting the spring clip off the handguard. I'd either buy the tool, or have someone with the tool take it off. The handguard is very thin, and it breaks very easily if you put any force on it off the rifle.

Don't ask me how I know this. :)

Hi, guys,

The spring clip should NOT be removed from the top handguard. Removing it is not needed for any normal cleaning, and trying to do so may break the handguard. If a handguard must be replaced, new handguards come with the clip on them and there is no reason to remove it.

One exception: If you are a collector, and want to replace a cracked handguard with a newer one but keep a grooved clip, you can remove the clip with a special tool. Other wise, leave it alone.

Jim

In the case of one of my Garands, I wanted to remove the clip to refinish the wood. I sent it to a guy that has the tool. :)

Back