Garand disassembly!

MeekAndMild

With the recent discussion of Garands blowing up and Garand op rod problems and Garand ammo problems I looked up the field stripping and detail stripping process, just to see how difficult it would be.

Link This page also links to detail stripping and reassembly pages.

Having been raised in the age of the AR and its simplicity I was not quite ready for this. The Garand has more parts than most watches and they all have to be put together just so. It is a nightmare! :eek:

Oh come on now. I just ran a timer and it took me 11 minutes to pull it apart and fumble it back together. That's everything minus the sling, front sight and the stock metal--stripped the bolt, trigger housing and receiver. If you left the bolt and trigger group alone, it'd be a 3 minute job.

I thought so too when I looked at it before I stripped it completely down. But I bought The Complete M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee.

This is a detailed guide that not only shows the disassembly and assembly but also what to look for during inspection. From Chapter 1, paragraph 1: "Ideally, such a book would impart the tips, tricks, pitfalls, and 'gotchas!' that experienced M1 Garand enthusiasts and armorers have discovered and developed over the years."

Well, this book has all that plus lots of pictures. Not only did I get my M1 completely disassembled, I got it back together without any extra parts, nor any missing parts. This book is now a permanent part of my book collection on guns.

Thanks guys. The other online reference is a big help and the Kuleck - McKee book sounds worthwhile.

11 minutes? So how long did it take the first time? :)

11 minutes? So how long did it take the first time?

Strip your AR upper and lower receivers down to bare nothing (minus the barrel); do the same with the bolt and bolt carrier. Then put it all back together and get back to me with your time.

Bolts and trigger groups weren't something the soldier was allowed to open up.

Back