Garand ammo

I'm sure the S&B is good, but I'd pick up a spam can to go along with the order like emcon5 suggests. That surplus ammo isn't going to be around forever and the en bloc clips it comes with can be used to load up the S&B ammo.

As long as the Greek HXP is available from CMP, I will would buy that before anything else. It is good shooting, non corrosive and relaodable, and it is also 12¢/round cheaper than the S&B in the loose cans, and even cheaper in the spam cans with clips, which makes no sense.

$320/400 S&B 80¢/rd
$136/200 Greek loose 68¢/rd
$115/192 Spam can on clips. ~60¢/rd

The spam cans is a no brainer.

For ammo choices, I've seen some PPU garand ammo at Cabela's before - it was a good price (cannot remember what price) but it is very clean, I've used it before in a bolt action .30-06. Have fun shooting the Garand, it's one of the best rifles ever made.

If you're just banging away having fun go with the surplus HXP. If you're shooting fun matches or registered matches where there's some competition use this:

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/cata...pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

It's expensive compared to surplus ammo, but it's cheap considering what you get. Even if you don't reload, save that brass and squirrel it away, because in all likelihood you will someday and you'll kick yourself thinking about all the brass you gave away or left at the range.

The empty clips cost between $1 and $3 around here, so do buy a can of the Greek M2, it's great ammo, and you'll need them.

The PPU or S&B ammo is great stuff, but do save and collect brass, you can reload your own .30-06 for 40 cents a round or less. You'll pay for even a Dillon progressive, dies, scale, calipers, and manual with just over a thousand rounds.

Greek HXP at 200 yards with My 1903a3 at last weeks OK City CMP Springfield match. Prone un-supported. 5 sighters, 10 shots for record.

With my 68 year old eyes.

M1903A2%20OK%20City%20Games.JPG

the Scientist

Just an FYI...as a new Garand owner are you aware of the "Schuster Plug"?....may be something to consider in the future....

Back