Garand ammo

cgbills

I just bought my first Garand (beautiful by the way) today. Included in the sale was some 30-06 ammo. Total round count was 248. There were three different stamps on the ammo. They are labeled as follows

1. WRA 30-06 SPRG
2. AMA 80
3. 30 M2 NNY 86

Are these ok to shoot through my Garand? Are any of them corrosive? Do they fall into the safe zone with Garand ammo of around 150 grains and mild burning powder? I am mainly worried about the ones stamped WRA 30-06 SPRG because 237 of the 248 rounds are that. Still curious about the other two. Also I noticed that the AMA ammo is about 1/8in shorter than the other two. I was told that the WRA ammo was good to go. What can you tell me about my ammo?

Last edited:
Ok I found a headstamp code listing here

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

it says

NNY-rvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice 31000, Yugoslavia. These are actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU in the Western alphabet.

AMA-Danish Government Arsenal (Ammunitionsarsenalet) Copenhagen, Denmark

Anyone have more backround on this?

WRA Winchester Repeating Arms. Are there any two digit numbers on the wra's? If not they are civilian and you will have to test a couple in a bolt action and weigh a bullet.

AMA 80 is not listed as a service cartridge. But could be post war forign produced.

The 30 M2 is the improved round, but was actually less accurate.

If you haunt the gun shows, look for DO and a two digit number of the year manufactured, 50's and 51's are still good if sealed. Also the Greeks made some really good rounds in the 60's. Look for big sardine cans with Greek writing and M-2Ball

If I were you, I'd post that same question at the CMP Garand forum. Those guys there know TONS about the Garand, and what is good surplus ammo for them.

The WRA ammo should have a year date; at any rate it's good stuff. To duplicate the WRA and WCC ball loading, FL size in SB dies, trim to 2.485", deburr the flash holes, remove the crimp with an RCBS or Dillon swager, cut the primer pockets to a uniform depth with a Lyman or Sinclair tool, seat a CCI milspec primer, charge with 48.0 grains of WW 748 or BLC-2, and seat a 147 or 150 grain M2 ball bullet. I've shot thousands of these with 748 powder and accuracy and reliability are superb. They won't beat your op-rod into scrap, and throat wear is much lower than with some other powders. Both are ball powders and meter like water so you can assemble them on a progressive after the case prep is done. CB.

M1 Garand Ammo

The only commercially available M2 Ball equivalent is for sale thru the CMP. It has the head stamp HXP and the two digit date code. This is Greek military surplus. HXP 69 is some that I have. Hornady has just introduced a line of M2 Ball, but it is about $1.00 a shot and I have not used any.
AMA is Danish military surplus and it is fine ammo, but not reloadable.
WRA is possibly the wrong pressure curve for the gas system, operating rod and will bend/break it if you use it.
I'm not familiar with the 30 M2 NNY 86 but it sounds like a military surplus round and I'll bet it is corrosive.

Back