"Game Finder" Heat Sensors

My first thought is that they would be illegal... if they worked. But what do I know?

My second thought is that these things have been on the market for years and I've never heard of or known anyone who used one. Seems like if they worked, we'd know it by now?

My third thought is that these things have been on the market for years and the company website is half under construction?

I do know that there's no way any device is going to pickup infrared through trees or yards and yards of vegetation. Maybe from 30 yards and small trees... but if you couldn't find it under those circumstances WITHOUT a gadget, well...

But what do I know?

the way I see it, if those guys on ghost hunters can use IR cameras to see ghosts, seeing a deer with one ought to be a slam dunk.

Our pd has them. About 10 years ago, a kid in a minivan slammed into an abutment at appr 80 mph, and wound up creating quite a scene. The scoured several acres of woods for hours, thinking that a passenger may have been ejected, or run off and gotten lost. They seem to be useful.

I bought one years ago and was underwhelmed. It would do okay inside the house, but any brush outdoors wiped out any effectiveness. Needs open area, apparently.

Vignette: Texas DPS has tried them. In one event, a trooper checked out a guy lying on a bench at a store. Oops! Room temperature! Excitement ensued! After other troopers gathered, investigation showed a straw-filled dummy. Embarrassment thereafter. :D

It's easy to get suckered into gadgets and gizmos, I am amazed and overwhelmed at the products out today for hunting.....most things get get left in the truck because it become a hassle to tote stuff around when walking to 3 to 5 spots a night to look for pigs. Lately the shooting sticks get left halfway as a waypoint. LOL

I don't know anything about that gizmo. I do use infrared cameras a lot in my engineering work. They are great for finding deer by night if the deer is alive and there is nothing between you and the deer.

I got one for my blind son a few years ago so he could "see" animals near the stand. The one I got didn't work for sheet and he was totally disappointed. His ears worked better than the heat detector.

Go to Youtube and search for "thermal" "hog hunting". Those sell for somewhere between $12K and $15K each. Looks like great fun though.

Uninpressed

A few years back I bought one of these to use at the SERE (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) School where I worked. I thought we could use it to find hidden students and their hides. After testing it out, I sent it back. Maybe I wasn't using it right but it seemed to give a lot of ambiguous readings. Not much good in my opinion. This was a few years ago, the newer ones may work better?

Back