Game camera and game feeder recommendations?

FoghornLeghorn

I checked "search" for the camera question but the threads were several years old. I'm looking for a sub $200 camera with $1000 reliability.

Also, reliable feeder, etc, as I know nothing about either.

thanks

Edited to add: the feeder must share acreage with cows, so, there's that.

Last edited:
This season I used a Moultrie A5 v2 in northern Michigan. One set of batteries lasted 3-4 weeks and took a few thousand pictures. Then the temp dropped to the 30-40's and fresh batteries only lasted for 4 days.

I'm sure there's better out there and extra attachable battery packs. But it was nice to see what was out there.

We're using $60 cams and getting all the info we need. Sure, you miss a pic now and then but if the critters are using the area, you'll likely get them next time.
High $$ cams are a marketing gimmick for the city boys who want to post pics and brag.

I have found that all brands have issues with some models and nearly all brands have models that work fine. The problem is that while one model may work great, another model may be a poor performer, even if it costs more.

What really troubles me is that after I find a camera that has proven itself, or maybe a couple, the model is usually out of date and no longer available, LOL.

Right now, what I have found to work reliably is this...

Stealth Cam Megapixel Digital Scouting Camera, Tree Bark
by Stealth Cam
3.8 out of 5 stars 976 customer reviews
6.0 Megapixel with Video recording 15 second
12 IR emitters/50 ft. and EZ Dial Programming with Quick Set
Burst Mode 1-6 images per triggering featuring 5-59 sec/1-59 minute recovery time out with Time, Date and Moon Phase Stamp
Durable Digital 3-D Camo Housing with External LCD Display and Test Mode and Low Battery Indicator
Time, Date and Moon Phase Stamp

Less than $60 from Amazon. What I like is that it works well enough. Dislikes are that the flash is a bit cone shaped such that the corners of the image are not well illuminated. Changing the batteries is a bit of a pain. The original setup is not complicated, but it isn't intuitive.

I run the camera on a default setting of a 3 shot burst with 1 minute intervals before the next burst. The camera runs on 8 AA batteries. I use rechargeables and change them every 2-3 months, IIRC.

If you have $200 to spend, I would buy 2, 3 sets of batteries, and a charger. That way you always have one set of batteries to change out on the cameras.

I have a Bushnell Trophy Cam HD that I have owned 10 years. It's been left out for months at a time winter and summer. I just switch out the SD card to view pictures. Battery life is excellent. Never had it false trigger.

It has a black flash so as not to attract thieves. Picture quality is good. It's not a high end camera but as far as a dependable work horse camera it fits that bill very well.

Interesting review, nettle. One thing that is certain is that the Trophycam HD made 10 years ago is NOTHING like the model by that name made today and may not even be made in the same country (which is not USA). In 2006, it was probably a 4 MP camera whereas today, they are 12-14 MP. As for false triggers, they occur when the camera moves, causing an image to occur, usually due to mounting on something that moves, such as a tree that will sway in the wind. So if you have had no false triggers, then you have mounted the camera well.

Stay away from Browning Trail Cameras. Bought one a year ago, - the second time I used it - the cheesy very light stamping that served as a socket for the camera tripod screw stripped out - had to modify a splicing nut and with the aid of some Plast-Aid was able to repair it. Last week, the plastic latch holding down the cover for the control panel failed completely - broke right off, at the latch - had to be repaired with some more epoxy and Plast-Aid, still waiting to see if the repair will hold up for the long run. Shop different brands, - just saying. For you guys needing ANY plastic repair - it's worth doing a search for this 'Plast-Aid' stuff, -- great stuff, at plast-aid.com.

Quote:
We're using $60 cams and getting all the info we need
Brand? Models?

Wildgame Innovations
model # N2

Trigger speed is not the quickest, battery life is good, and it doesn't seem to spook the deer(since we have many pics of deer noses).We've used them 3 seasons w/o issues.

Bushnell Trophy Cams are the big seller up this way. Have not yet heard from any of my hunter pals complaining about there's. As far as a spin feeder. Magnum Products has always had a good operational reputation. A company that's been around for many years if parts replacement & service is a key factor in one's purchasing.

Just saying. In a cattle roaming about situation. Spinning corn is likely to be a waste of money.

I just replaced a pair of 12 year old Cuddyback capture flash with a pair of Cuddyback C1's. The C1's can be set for video or frame or both and you control the frame size. A set a batteries will last a season and the trigger misses nothing. I have them set for wide frame and only get one or two blanks in 400 frames. I like the flash and do not believe it spooks game ( have the pics to prove it ). Your can get a pair for just under $400 on the interweb.

Feeders: buy metal. Squirrels will eat through plastic. I have two wildgame 100 lb hangers. They are 6 years old and going strong.

I should have pointed out that mice/rats/squirrels will eat veggie-based plastic, but not petroleum-based plastic.

Many car companies buy complete wiring harnesses from Brazil, and the plastic insulation is veggie-based.

A farmer kept his new Ford pickup in his barn. It began running poorly. He crippled in to the dealership. The comment after opening the hood: "It looked like an explosion in a spaghetti factory."

Back