Galil/Valmet holding zero

swampy

Both of these AK variations use a rear sight mounted on the rear of the dust (top) cover. They also use the plunger (ie the recoil spring guide rod)to hold the dust cover in place as do other AKs. However, how do these variations insure that the dust cover returns to the same point on the receiver after removal for cleaning etc? Most AK covers are windage loose, but these aren't and consequently return the sight to zero. How do these variations accomplish this? Thanks

[This message has been edited by swampy (edited May 24, 2000).]

Swampy,
I shot an M62 in the army and don't recall any problems with rear sight re-zeroing. I think it is a combination of recoil spring pressure and a tight cover/guide rod fit that does it, there is some looseness but not enough to make any real difference. In my opinion a greater concern is the tiny elevation screw that works loose, once I had one shot on target, a nice group 1 ft.down on the board holding the target and 2 or 3 in between :(
Timo

As Timo said no big issue in Valmets. Some very much and hardly used Valmets that have seen a lot of conscript field training may have some looseness in the dust cover (and very slight variation in sighting), but in civilized civilian use that should not happen, at least not in decades, or possibly centuries.

I have used Valmet M62 in the Finnish military (and privately owned semiauto M83 and M92S). Even Valmets and other AKs can be destroyed with enough abuse (I have seen some) but that is very hard to do.

Ossi

Back