G36 carry & use reports?

If carrying it off duty counts, here is my opinion. I like it! I wear it in a Wild Bill's belt slide and a single magazine pouch. The gun is light enough and small enough it does not poke, prod or generally get in the way of things. Therefore, concealing it is not a problem, even a tee shirt will cover it (as a rule, I wear about a size larger shirt than normal). I can wear it for several hours and not really be bugged by it.
As for shooting it, you know it is a .45. I think people talk down about the 36 because they are used to shooting bigger guns, bigger Glocks for that matter. Just by the size of it dictates that more recoil is to be expected. I carry 230 gr rounds and practice with 230s, getting a quick follow up shot is easily attained. The accuracy department is acceptable to me, as it will more than hit the center if I do my part, out to 25 yards. I have not shot it any further away though.
From the holster it is about as quick as any other pistol I shoot, I think getting a aquiring the target is a little quicker by the way it rides in my hands.
The pistol is stock except the sights, these were replaced with Heinie Straight 8 nite sights. This too helps in shooting this pistol better, if someone could explain why two vertical dots line up quicker please chime in.
All in all I am pleased with the performance.

[Edited by fed168 on 01-12-2001 at 08:17 PM]

I can report the same as what fed 168 said almost verbatim. Easier to conceal and carry than the 30 I sold to buy the 36. Look at the Hume line of holsters for the 36: reasonably priced and excellent quality. You can buy at a 10% discount and free shipping from Bill at http://www.wrbss.com

Regards,
Frank

My pistol is still stock, though I'm contemplating night sights and some flavor of trigger work. And perhaps the Pearce basepad extensions, when available.

In a BS-2 from M/D, or an Anderson fanny pack, the pistol is comfortable, ergonomic, and durable. Reliability has been flawless (ask Dennis! :D).

Yes, ammunition selection and recoil are perhaps more critical with the 36 (I've been carrying 165gr. PD HydraShoks), but nothing unreasonable for me.

Without rehashing the 30/36 debate, and the fact that I thought I'd never own a Glock, this will be my primary CCW for the foreseeable future.

SA Scott

Back