G30 or G23?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Bell

Guys,

I can't decide which gun to add to my collection next ( I have been going back and forth between Sig 229/239, Walther P99, HK P9 45, silenced USP tactical). Now I'm thinking about a G23 or G30 again. I have put down 1/2 on a g23 (but my dealer lets me switch guns if I change my mind). I like the idea of the G23 because it is close in overall feel to my P7s. However, even though I have never been a big 45 guy, the little g30, with suitable extensions, seems intriging. Is the G30 managable? I have shot the G23 and it has slightly sharper, but managable, recoil than my P7. Since my purpose for the gun is a car and hiking piece, I suspect the G23 might be the best option. Earlier, I was thinking about a G19/17 because of the ease of finding hi-cap mags. Are the G23 mags availble at reasonable prices? I have seen a lot of G23/22 refurbs but not a lot of new mags.

Greg

gregy,

G23 = .40cal
G30 = .45acp

I hate the .40cal , I have one!
The .45acp recoil is less than
the .40cal. The G30 & Kimbers are
pure joy , minimal kick! The .40cal's
kick like a pissed off woman. Whaaaat?
(.40cal sucks)

al-veda-zane!

------------------
"No Tailgating!"

[This message has been edited by SHORTFUSE (edited August 19, 1999).]

Go for the Glock 23. It will let you know
that you have a "TIGER BY THE TAIL'. Hi
cap magazines are still available; in
either the standard or the "drop free"
style, but most of the time they demand
a "black market" price. There's a dude
up in Texas (I forget the name of his
company), but all he sell's are magazine's.
Example, (as I saw it last)a Sig-Sauer P229
12-round magazine was $125.00.

Of all the guns you listed I would opt for the Glock 30.

I've fired one and concur with the other opinions here.

When you can have 10 BIG rounds of .45 ACP in a gun that will handle +P pressures, why bother with 13 smaller rounds of .40 S&W. Also, a car gun is usually best kept with many spare magazines. So when the magazines cost $18 versus $85 respectively I'd rather have four or five spare mags for the G-30 for the price of one preban G23 mag.

- Anthony

- Anthony

Anthony made some good points.

I own a G30. Its the softest recoiling .45 I've ever shot, probably due to the twin recoil springs. The 30 is a very accurate, compact pistol that can shoot groups close to custom 1911s.

I would be happy to own any of the weapons you are considering, but the G30 is my choice for the trail and car. I became a big time 45 fan after I got mine. Rent or borrow one and you may be pleasantly surprised.

The choice between a G23 and a G30 is basically a win-win situation. I have and like them both. The greater compactness of the G23 may be an advantage at times, while the G30 is probably easier to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back