G3 price?

Fred S

Local gun shop has a G3 witha Federal Arms receiver, witha flat top rail for $729. Is this a good price?

I've seen the Fed Arms gun and wouldn't buy it myself. In my opinion, the quality isn't there for that kind of money. Buy German or go with another semi.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I bought one last year, horribly built rifle. I didn't even shoot it because that would have reduced it's worth. I returned it two days later, got my cash back and bought a Glock. The manufacture (I believe it's Century Arms) didn't even send a manual with the gun! I had to go on-line to find field stripping information. I had a hard time trying to get the buttstock off the reciever (the usual way you break a HK G3 down). It just seemed like a waste of money. Now the Glock on the other hand...

Here's a better idea: Call Inter Ordnance and order a FMP SLG-95 ($450) receiver and a G3 parts kit from somewhere and build one yourself. FMP is a Portugese company that is liscenced by HK to make G3's, in fact most G3 parts kits available today are made by FMP.

I was doing the math and came up with about $900 out the door. Not bad for a HK liscenced 91 type.

I believe the barrel is swaged into a receiver block and afterwards, pinned in place. You may have to take it to some outfit (Hesse Arms?) to have this done. Everything else (trigger group, bolt carrier group is easily assembled).

------------------

Thanks Destructo6. Couldn't think of anybody else and having bought a Hesse lower (stainless steel), I can't recommend it.
BTW, the lower is easy to assemble (if you played with Lego as a child, you can assemble a lower).

Next time, DPMS. They've never disappointed me.

------------------

Back