G17 Adjustable Sight Question.

Sgt.K

Greetings,

I recently purchased a G17 w/adjustable sights. It was made in 10/92. The sight has 2 screws, one on each side of the 'leaf?'. The 'leaf?' extends about an eight of an inch behind the slide. I have been informed, though you can tell by looking, that these sights break-off easily. I am going to replace them with Meprolight in the very near future.

Anyway, my question. Which, if either, of the screws control windage? Left or right looking down the sights. It is right on elevation wise, but hitting about 1½ to 2" left. I know that's good enough for defense, but I want it to hit where I aim it.

BTW, GT was not really any help. Nor a couple other boards I posted this on.

Guess I could just twist one and see what happens. :D

TIA,

Sgt.K

skull.gif
Expect No Mercy
skull.gif

It sounds like you have the earliest version of adjustable sites, also called "weekend sites" since they were designed in one weekend (according to legend, anyway). Most Glocks come to the US with these cheap, disposable sites in order to earn enough points for importation. They are then replaced with fixed, night, or "good" adj sites at Glock in Smyrna, GA.

I have been extremely satisfied with the current adjustable sites that come from Glock. Take a look at a model 34 for an example of these sites. You can buy them for $15 or so directly from Glock, or if you send your slide in to them they will replace the sites free of charge. Another option to consider is having the slide refinished while at Glock, at a cost of about $40, including sites replacement.

You also mention shooting left. If you are new to Glock's trigger, you are probably pulling the gun left as you fire. This is the most common issue for new Glockers. Try using the first crease of your index finger to pull the trigger, instead of the pad, like we've all been taught. You should notice an instant improvement in your Glock shooting. Then, you may want to upgrade to a 3.5 pound connector - this will make the trigger MUCH nicer and lighter, further reducing your tendency to pull the gun.

Now go ahead and turn the screws... :)

I can't remember but take it to the range and set the target at 20 feet and make your adjustment.

Think the rear adjusts elevation. Front does windage.

I too would actually have to pull it out to determine what screw does what...I replaced the fixed sights on mine with Glock Adjustable sights and have found them to be very good. It cost me about $75-80 to have Glock do this for me...did I get ripped off? They seem to be very durable...I've tried my best to "hurt" them....so far they are doing fine.

Sounds unusual. Glock usually upgrades to adjustable sites for free or at most, $15 which is what they sell the sites for.

Adjustable Glock Sight/ G17

Actually pulled out the invoice for the upgrade to the adj sight...$33.72 + $5 shipping. I guess the price became that 24" bass that started out as a 12 incher!

This was done in Feb., 1999...so far the sight is holding up well.

Back