G.S.R.

Pahoo

Mods, if this is out of line, kindly delete

I often wonder if some of the items we post help the bad guys as oppose to informing the good guys. Any way, here it goes …… :)

A friend of mine had a visit from his Grandson. He only stayed for a few days and during his visit, he asked his grandfather if he could look at his collection. He handled and few and of course, put his claim in for a couple of them. The following day went to the airport to fly back home. At the TSA station, he set off more than one alarm. He was taken to a back room where they conducted a personal check on him and his luggage. All he had, was a carry-on. Aside from being a bit intimidated and scared, he was confused. Upon questioning, he mentioned about reviewing his Grandfathers collection and that resolved the problem. He admitted that he had not changed his shirt from the day before.

I teach M/L's always tell the students to wash their hands. I guess I will now have to tell them to change their cloths if they plan on flying. …. ;)

Be Clean and Be Safe !!!

I didn't think gunpowder set off those sniffers. I reload and have never been flagged, and I did ask them about it. They said they were looking for other chemicals.

If your friend shoots double base powders and didn't clean the gun after shooting it, there might have been some nitroglycerin residue that rubbed off his clothes or it could have been something else entirely. From what I've heard there are all sorts of things that give false positives...

Tony

The reason the young man got pulled out of line "might" have been for the type of carry on bag he had. On a recent return flight home, wife's BIL had his drone in a hard case as a carry on bag, along with a soft sided camera bag. The TSA at Denver pulled him out and scanned him for GSR and probably explosive components, while the TSA at the smaller airport we flew out of did not. Wife's BIL does not even own a firearm of any type to my knowledge.

The person who was scanned was Pahoo's friend's grandson. I wonder if the young man has ever smoked marijuana, or if he had recently been in the company of friends who smoke marijuana.

Only GRS was in play.

The TSA guys, clearly stated that the detector was picking up GSR. The grandfather does a typical job of cleaning his firearms. Don't know or care if the grandson, smokes pot and really mot in play, at least when it comes to this story. …… :confused:

Be Safe

Pahoo, I'm far too skeptical of government agents to believe anything they say. TSA is the agency that is notorious for citing "regulations" for confiscating all sorts of things, but if you ask to see the regulation ... it's sooper-dooper top secret classified.

TSA is also the agency whose published advisory on their web site instructed people traveling with firearms to violate federal law. The law says a firearm must be in a locked case, and the owner shall retain the key or combination. For many YEARS, the TSA web site and TSA agents at airports all across the country instructed travelers to turn the key or combination over to the TSA agents so they could inspect your gun without you being present. And they busted your you-know-whats if you pointed out to them that what they wanted was in violation of the law.

You can believe what a TSA agent said if you wish, but I don't think they would be likely to be truthful about what they're looking for, or how they're looking.

Playing the games

You can believe what a TSA agent said if you wish, but I don't think they would be likely to be truthful about what they're looking for, or how they're looking.
Well Blanca, I wasn't there and neither were you. You'll just have to deal with what life throws at you. I'm a veteran and have had to play government games. I'll bet you have too. ….. :cool:

Be Safe !!!

Ideally, we should fly as infrequently as possible. If you have to fly, do whatever you can to minimize the risk of triggering the TSA.

I recommend that everyone who is even contemplating maybe, possibly flying ... ever ... apply for TSA PreCheck. If nothing else, at least you get to keep your shoes on your feet.

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck

I got to keep my shoes on during the return trip I mentioned above. They gave me a "yellow card" to hold, and I had worn some slip on shoes instead of the tennis shoes I had worn on the trip out. I did have to remove my belt, and one young TSA agent wanted to know why I had some "pruning shears" (his words) in my toilet kit. Guess he had never seen some toenail clippers. LOL

I freely admit I don't know hardy anything as far as airport security goes...I do not fly much at all.

I do know I bought an all plastic belt to avoid some potential embarrassment and it didn't work...had to take the all plastic belt off too.

I'm really surprised that handling cleaned guns would get so much GSR on you that you'd get special treatment from the TSR guys but again, I really do NOT know what their procedures/protocols/prejudices are.

The one place where we "lost" the war on terror was creating the TSA.

I have no doubt that TSA agents would say they were looking for GSR. That's one of the things they've been trained to say. The brighter ones understand that the machines do not find GSR. The machines find traces of certain chemicals, some of which are in GSR. They also find some of those chemicals in explosives and in HAND LOTION, and other compounds.

Literally, all the sniffer machines can tell them is "hey, I found something that matches "this" on your list. Go figure out what it is...."

If you want to fly, and want to avoid all the hassle and crap from TSA, there is a simply way to do it. Be wealthy enough to charter a plane.

Charter a plane, you don't go through the regular terminal and its security. You literally just walk to a different part of the airport and get on your plane, carrying ANYTHING (legal) you want.

Not possible for most of us, but if you have the bucks to spend you can avoid a lot of things "lesser" folks have to put up with. :D

Oh, just so you know, the dogs aren't infallible, either...

The one place where we "lost" the war on terror was creating the TSA.

Let's not leave out the Patriot Acts I and II. I opposed all of these when they were proposed, but in the wake of events and with some people never having met a new federal power they didn't like, prudential arguments didn't matter.

People imagined tens of thousands of people's lives saved by preventing some Wahhabis with box cutters boarding another plane. What really happens looks more like hundreds of thousands of shoeless and beltless travelers having someone who used to guard the common area between JC Pennys and Sears deciding whether the traveler needs that much shampoo.

And we did it all to ourselves.

Now I know not to try to reduce any preflight stress with a trip to the range.

We're getting off-topic and straying into general politics. This thread is about G.S.R. (Gun Shot Residue). We can discuss what might or might not set of a GSR sniffer, but discussion of the TSA in general, the Patriot Act, and the War on Terror are not appropriate on this site.

Back