"G-Man" by Stephen Hunter.

g.willikers

With all the complaints about authors who know nothing of guns, here's one you will find little if any fault with.
It centers on the Depression era bank robbers, their guns, the guns of the lawmen who hunted them, and the techniques and resolve of both.
A refreshingly good read on the subject.

I just found the Author - C.J. Box - similar writing and stories as Stephen Hunter, John Sanford, and Lee Child. All four of these writers have decent firearms knowledge.

Although I've read all Lee Child's books for the entertainment value, he'd probably be one of the LAST authors I would go to for "decent firearms knowledge".

You'd think he or his publisher would at least have someone with a minimum of real world experience read over his gun scenarios.

Seems like to me that his gun proficiency is based on a superficial scan of the current internet buzz words.

I've read and enjoyed all of Lee Child's Reacher novels, but some of the things he says about guns are ridiculous. In one the climactic scene was based on the notion that ammo left in a magazine for more than a few hours will cause the spring to "take a set" and not feed. :rolleyes:

Hunter is MUCH more realistic.

if you like that one you really need to check out hunters "point of impact" and "dirty white boys".......bob lee swagger and company

Never read the book and liked the movie overall but the idea (in Shooter) of re-firing a once fired rifle bullet, paper patched, for a 1 mile head shot might be a stretch. I did appreciate all the detail though.

What's your problem, Willie??

Don't like reading about safetys on revolvers?

Or all the cordite smells after a shooting???

"The cordite stung my nostrils as I flicked OFF my safety on S&W Target model 500 magnum, specially designed with a built in silencer - I was sure no one would hear the report..."

Hunter

Hunter has been on my read list for awhile. I've not read "G-men" but will.

REgards the film "Shooter" I was disappointed, not happy with the actor representing Bob Lee Swagger, just didn't seem a fit. Also, many of the subtle nuances that made the book, got ommitted from the movie. For example, Swagger from the south, in rural AR, was much of the flavor of the book, totally skipped in the movie. Seemed like they used the Pacific NW in the film.

And the scenes in the snow were all Hollywood derivatioins. The actual scene in the book centered around the opening day of deer season in AR, not a snow capped peak in the Rockies.

Still I have the flick, but the book is better. Looking forward to "Gmen"

Don't like reading about safetys on revolvers?[/img]

My wife was helping me teach a women's SD/firearms class. We suggest not buying a handgun until the students try several to see what fits them.

So at the start of the class I'm describing the different handguns, and happened to mention that "revolvers don't have safeties" at which time my wife lays a H&R 32 cal Rough Rider on the table in front of me.

It has a safety.

Rough%20Rider.JPG

^^^:p
Sometimes ignorant authors are saved in spite of themselves.
Actually quite a few revolvers have come down the pike with safeties.
Not many, but if there's one thing to learn about shootin' irons is never say never.
There's been just too many inventive folks involved with them down through the years.
Makes it one of them most interesting of subjects.

Back