Future use of serial numbers on file

gunpowder

Just bought a new gun today and it got me thinking about where the info ends up. Although I know the dealer will file the serial number and my name, etc., I started thinking about the gun manufacturer. The warrenty card must have the serial number, etc on it and the questionaire asks how many of each brand of guns you own. I can see how the government could easily find out what you own by many different avenues (State CC permit app info, warrenty info from manufacturer, dealer files, etc.) Not to be a fanatic but it could make you think twice.

[This message has been edited by gunpowder (edited January 08, 2000).]

Of course in varies state to state, but the yellow piece of paper you fill out with the dealer is kept by him until he goes out of business.

Many don't know this, but he fills in the serial number and model on the back.

So of course the BATF could march in the store a take the copies.

It would then be up to you to prove that you legally disposed of any weapons that you bought.

Two trains of thought-only buy at private sales so there is no paper work.

Always get proof when you sale or lose a gun.

------------------
I'm totin' this pistol because my SKS won't fit in my Dang holster

It even gets a little worse than that....there was a dealer around clarksville ky a while back who quit the business and burned his yellow forms...he is in jail...fubsy.

Fubsy,
About the former gun dealer now in jail: Is there more to the story or is he a righteous dude? How is his family getting along while he is a political prisoner? etc.

------------------
Either you believe in the Second Amendment or you don't.
Stick it to 'em! RKBA!

These forms were(?) being illegally entered into a database, in violation of federal law.

If it comes to the point in this country that it did in Britain the forms were used to try and collect the guns. Individuals who didn't turn them in or didn't have them were tossed in jail for contempt of court.

Things obviously wouldn't go that easily in the United States. Many politicians would like to engage in confiscation but unless it was very carefully done it would be the equivalent of sparking a legitimate revolution.

Back