Future double options. For around $1000

Blindstitch

I have a few shotguns and my go to gun is a Savage Fox BSE-c 12 gauge and it's a great gun that I have gotten from my grandfather a few years ago. I'm not really displeased with it because it does a great job and i'm accurate with it. The only real problem I have is the forend screw Savage used isn't as robust so every 100 or so shots the screw breaks. A $2.50 fix but Gunparts Corp is now out. I think I bought 5 spares plus a tap and die set to upsize the bolt after that.

But beyond that I have always wanted a good workhorse over/under that I can use for upland game, geese, or whatever flys my way.

I'm not ready to buy yet but my budget will probably be around the $1000 mark and not afraid of used quality guns. So what do you think fits the bill?

Here's a shot of my Fox. I bagged 2 pheasants with it today. It was a good day.

if you look at the used market you should be able to pick up a qualty DB for under 1000.00. i bought a ithaca 200E 20ga for 625.00 in like new condition and a browning BSS sporter 20ga for 400.00 some time ago and a fox sterlingworth 16ga for 500.00. and a real sleeper a charles daly imported 12ga made by the same company that makes brownings for 200.00. they are out there,you just have to shop around. eastbank.

I have the 20 gauge cousin and I am surprised as to why that screw is breaking - it shouldn't be - is something too loose or too tight?

Nowadays, the SKB 100 runs $1K, while the 200 is now closer to $1400+

The CZ's made in Turkey seems to be running under $1K for new guns. Unless you stumble upon a decent older SxS where they don't realize what they have, you might be left with getting another Savage Fox for about 600 or so

Not to insult you, but have you tried blue Loctite and just snugging it up good? That solved the problem on a 311 years ago.
Also, McMaster Carr has about every screw possible, and often in Grade 8 (Grade 9 in Allen head configuration).

I really have no clue why the screw is breaking. Seems to do it however tight, lose, or snug it is. A few people I know suggested maybe the screws aren't as strong as they should be. The original that came with it only bent so I replaced it and the replacement broke. One day I needed it and put the bent original screw back in and it still lasted way longer than the others.

Usually when it breaks it's flush with the forend iron.

I'll check out McMaster Carr.

If I ever found a 20 gauge Fox for a good price I would buy it too.

I don't know why but i'm not finding any 8-40 x3/4 fillister at McMaster Carr.

I found some at other sights for scope mounting but i'm not sure if that's strong enough.

That's a good question. It probably depends on condition but last year I saw one for $200 on armslist and just missed it. It was up for under 30 minutes. I've seen a few in gun shops for as high as $700 so i'm probably thinking $350 max.

I don't need another 20 gauge but I could find room for one :D. Right now i'm saving for my better quality bucket list. I want to pick up the over/under and a higher end rifle.

Back