Furtive Movement Defense Videos

FrankDude72

Inactive
One of the more important concepts to internalize in the study of self-defense is recognizing a furtive movement
AND being able to articulate why you thought the furtive movement indicated the kind of threat where you felt compelled to employ deadly force.

Just whipped up a couple videos to help people understand this concept better.

First one is a live fire demonstration of how difficult it is to determine if someone's reaching for a weapon or something more innocuous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuEDhsoZS_g

Second is a lecture based on some of Preston K. Covey's IALEFI work and Ayoob's LFI-1 work,
where the criteria to use lethal force against a BG performing a furtive movement are fleshed out and articulated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILaGQaMlEXw

Hope some of y'all find this helpful.

FrankDude72,

The first video shows how fast things happen in a defensive situation. In a law enforcement situation I can see how someone who is ordered "not to move" them proceeds to ignore those orders would get shot due to those movements.

During law enforcement training we were presented with a video after being told we were doing a traffic stop of a known stolen car that had been used in an armed robbery less than an hour ago. The armed robbers were two men. The driver of the car at the time of the traffic stop was a female. She was uncooperative, disregarded all orders to remain in the car, got out of the car, moved quickly towards you while reaching into a large handbag, and quickly pulled out a . . . .
Do you shoot or wait to see what is in her hand at a distance of 3 feet?

On the other hand, for a civilian defensive situation, I would not try to arrest someone and would try to leave a path for them to leave without getting closer to me. Hopefully, I could find some good cover during the encounter.

LEO life safety techniques coupled with LEO duties and mandates are one thing. Joe Citizen SD is something else entirely.

I agree that Joe Civilian can not get away with what LEO's can in terms of, he grabbed something when I told him not to move.

Back