• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Fund raising idea for TFL : the CONSUMER REPORTS for Guns.

FUD

I was commenting in another trend (http://www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37959) when I was hit with a brainstorm of an idea on how TFL could raise some money and provide a valuable service to the gun community not found any please else.

We all pretty much know that the gun reviews presented in the various gunrags is slated to a particular viewpoint. We (the gun industry) does not have a Consumer Reports type publication that we can turn to for an honest review of a firearm. The cloest thing that might come to it would be GUN TESTS magazine but they only review one gun of a particular model which isn't a very good sampling size.

However, here on TFL we have hundreds of people who have experience with a particular model and we're constantly posting our experiences with various types of guns. This translates into a very good sample size.

How about starting a sister internet site to TFL which would have reviews of various guns. For example, the SIG P229 in 9mm would be one trend; the P229 in .357SIG would be another trend, etc. TFL members would post their experiences with each particular model -- it would be like having dozens of mini- reviews for each model.

TFL already has a lot of this information scattered all over the place. It would involve more work but it could be set up as a pay-site to cover the extra expense.

I mean people buy GUN TESTS and the other gun rags to read reviews about a handful of guns and those reviews are just of one person reviewing one sample gun from the entire model line. It's very possible that he got "stuck" with a good gun in an otherwise bad model line. With the approach that I'm suggesting, you would have dozens of different reviews of a particular gun giving the reader a very well rounded picture of what to expect if they buy that particular model.

I am certain that people would pay for this type of info since it would be much more valuable than what they are currently paying for when buying the gunrags. It would provide a usedful service not found anywhere else and generate some revenue in the process.

These are just my initial thoughts of this and in order to make it work, some ideas would have to be added and/or modified but this is the general concept.

What do others think (especially admins, moderators, etc.)?

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited August 01, 2000).]

Great idea

------------------
Ben Lee
Student, Senior
Computer Science
Mississippi State University
Fear the man that owns only one rifle,
he likely knows how to use it.
- Anonymous

I like the idea, but believe it would destroy us. Who would determine which opinions would be used in the evaluations?

The arguments on TFL already have been so violent and divisive ... and there was no added pressure of publicizing the opinions!

I mean, just the arguments about 1911s v. Glock nearly tore the roof off our cyberhome!

Add to that, the arguments about AR-15/M-16, M1, M1A, M1 Carbine and all the versions of these PLUS all the copycats PLUS all the other firearms of the world!

Whew! The mind boggles.

Consider the experties on TFL, it's a great idea. But considering the stress - I (for one) am not up to it!

I thought this was part of the purpose of TFL. Providing the site is not problem. The guns: we all have access. It's the critiques that take the work. Anyone willing to do that work is encouraged to post their review within the existing Forums. The audience is certainly big enough.
Rich

Dennis, this is sort of what I had in mind ...<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> Either on TFL as a sub-forum or as a seperate page, you would have a Gun Review Forum.
<LI> In that forum people would open up trends the way they do now but the title of the trend would be the particular firearm being reviewed sort of like this ...
gr.jpg

<LI> Then different people would post their experiences with that particular firearm.</UL>
If a person doesn't have any actual experience with that particular gun, then they shouldn't say anything about it unless they can back up those comments. For example, "... I own a Kahr MK9 and it is my primary CCW. While it is a little on the heavy side due to being made out of all stainless steel and is too heavy for regular pocket carry, the extra weight helps to reduce the recoil since it is built strong as a tank and therefore is very accurate & reliable. However, I dislike the fact that it does not have a repeat striker capability and since it is used for deep concealment sometimes 14-18 hours a day, I've noticed that it is showing signs of rust after less than a year. Of course, the fact that I live in the hot & humid southern Florida swamps may have something to do with this ...". PLEASE, no comments about my comments about the MK9 -- this is only an example (even though the comments made are my actual opinion)

I think MOST people here are here because they want to learn and share what they know with others and they would give honest assessments of their experiences with a particular firearm.

I think that it's a pretty good idea. It might work. It might not. I don't know. I'll keep quite.

Wow! The things "thinking people" come up with!

As I said, I liked the idea to begin with. I was just afraid of it. I was picturing a "Gun Tests" format! That would have been a mess!

After seeing your example, I like it even more.

I guess the key would be a strong moderator to hold down the arguments, properly identify fact v. opinion, ensure fairness, etc.

Gee... I wonder who.... (some 6,200 people all turn and stare at FUD ! )

Good idea! I'll second that nomination. All in favor say 'aye'!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis:
I guess the key would be a strong moderator to hold down the arguments, properly identify fact v. opinion, ensure fairness, etc.

Gee... I wonder who.... (some 6,200 people all turn and stare at FUD ! )
[/quote]

Dennis, seronac & others: I don't know the first thing about being a moderator but I would be more than willing to try to do my part. When and if this becomes more of a reality, let's talk about it off-line (i.e., e-mail).

NO!
AAaarrgghhh - the Work! Geeze that is a headache for no reason.

Look - all this stuff - Its ALREADY HERE!

Its called SEARCH GO to the archive and search the proper forum - Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun... Search the current forums...
IN there SOMEPLACE is a gaggle of opinions.

IN FACT:
I challenge FUD (or seronac, or anyone else) to find a gun that HAS NOT BEEN talked about in some way or another! Disclaimer - must be a PRODUCTION gun. Find a MISSING gun in each catagory - Rifle Pistol and Shotgun.

My point being - TFL is ALREADY that great resource your wanting... and has been since almost Day One.

George, I know that there are comments here on TFL about (almost) every single gun -- that's where I got the idea from. It wasn't to add anything that was missing but to have all of that data lined up in trends like I showed in my example to Dennis but you don't have to challenge me. I said that I'll go over in the corner and remain quite. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUD: ... I think that it's a pretty good idea. It might work. It might not. I don't know. I'll keep quite ...[/quote]

I like the idea too. Yes TFL has info on just about every gun. On the other hand, TFL does have problems due to the number of postings. Searches take forever. Whereas, a format like FUD stated would beneficial to all... cept the moderator.

Back