Fun with my old S&W .22

Dave R

Went plinking last weekend with my Romanian .22 (I'll get to the revolver in a second). Shot some "targets of opportunity" at around 25 yards. Way too easy. So I set up 3 cans at 50 yards. A "tall boy" beer can, and two gallon paint cans.

Went back, loaded the Romanian, and went to chamber a round. Pulled the bolt back and it came right out the back, slipped outa my hands and fell IN THE SAND.

I am not happy. The bolt must be thoroughly cleaned before I will put it back in the rifle. The rifle is done for the day.

I don't want to walk back and pick up those cans without shooting 'em first, so I pull out the old S&W 34-1. This is an old, well-used revolver. Noticeable peening on the cylinder star, etc. I figure I can "walk" the fire close to the tallboy can before the cylinder runs dry, to see where to hold at 50 yards, then reload and pop the two gallon cans.

At this range, the front sight is twice as wide as the tallboy. So I get a real steady rest, center then can on the front sight, move right 1/4 sight width 'cuz the sights are slightly off, the c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y squeeze off a round. Pop. Tink. The tallboy falls over.

WOW! This is the first round I shot at 50 yards with this revolver. Ever. Must be beginner's luck.

So I line up on the first gallon can. Pop. Tink. Second can. Pop. Tink.

Too much fun. Ya gotta love a revolver that you can shoot like that.

When I retreive the tall boy, the hole is right in the middle of the can. Right where I held. Yeah--beginners luck on that one.

Good head, good hold, good trigger pull and good gun = good shootin. :)

Just gave my pre 1910 .32 Long I frame a pat on the butt.

Sam

Slab, I had to do a lot of snivelin, whinein etc to get mine.

Would really like to find my granny's NIB M frame, been over 50 years since i saw it tho.

Sam

Back