Fun targets to blast?

Bam Bam

Well, I am thinking of some exciting targets to blast. What do you think of a shooting a couple of cans of Pringles potato chips with exploding targets taped on them? Other suggestions are welcome.

Had a fun day at the informal range the other day, throwing clay pigeons toward a berm backstop for shotgunners, while buddies shot long arms and handguns.

Any missed pigeons were proptly dispatched by small arms fire.

I enjoy shotgunning anything made of plastic. You get a record of the pattern of shot which hit the object. Not possible with clay pigeons.

Fruit is always amusing with shotguns :). Watermelons and cantelopes especially. We don't use them as regular targets but they're fun once in awhile and biodegradable too. Depending on where you shoot though, they do leave a mess so if you can't leave them where they lay they're a mess to clean up. Pumpkins work good in the fall.

Otherwise, water jugs are fun like Dave mentioned and frozen jugs can be cool too. You get a shatter effect like glass but none of the hazardous cleanup afterwards. You can either leave the ice in the jugs or cut the jug off and just have a big block of ice to shoot at.

Other favorite shotgun target amongst my group is old computers :). There's something very satisfying about being able to put a 12 gauge slug through a junk Packard Bell or Macintosh. Kind of makes up for all the aggrivation the damn thing caused you when it was supposedly working!

Sounds like fun!

I wish I were somewhere blasting away at water
jugs, canned tomatos, and other fun targets. I have
a bunch of ammo ready to go. Oh well, back to work.

Actually I have a broken monitor. I was thinking of shooting it with a Swede Mauser. Maybe I should use a 12 ga slug or 20 ga? Should I tape some exploding targets on the glass for the first shot?

Only problem with moniters is all the broken glass. We typically just shoot up the cases.

Interesting factoid: when shooting at a big old 286 system in a heavy desktop case we found that the power supply will actually stop 12 gauge slugs at about 50 yards.

'Course, a power supply in a computer case is a pretty puny thing to hide behind so I don't know that computers make that great of hard cover ;).

If you like an "H-bomb"-sized boom, you might try filling a garbage bag with oxy-acetylene (inside a cardboard box to stop it from blowing around), then sticking one of those exploding targets on the side. Be VERY careful with this; the concussion can break windows for hundreds of feet around.

Cheetos

A friend of mine had this 2-gallon sized jug that was about 1/3rd full with stale Cheezy Puffs. We took that out and hit it with birdshot from his Mossy 590. BOOM! There was a big orange cloud and Cheezy Puffs everywhere. LOL

We also found a bunch of old "Vote No on Prop. B" signs and placed the first one at 10 paces (a military pace, being every time your left foot hits the ground, my pace count is about 65 paces per 100 meters), the second one at 20 paces, and the third one at 30 paces, and used them to pattern-test his 590 with 00 buck. All hits at 10 paces, four hits at 20, no hits at 30.

Old video tapes are great too, but be sure to have a garbage back, 'cause if you hit the tape spool you're going to have a mess on your hands. :D

Active targets are fun. I use party balloons, just filled up with air. They can be hung from a horizontal support and they will gently blow in the breeze. This aids in sight-acquire-fire practice and still lets you know when you hit it.

A local grocery store had some Cadbury creme eggs for free. I can't wait to shoot them.
Remember, Humpty Dumpty did not fall.

Back