FUN Shoot = Marksville, LA

oldmanFCSA

https://i.imgur.com/s8aR1X8.gif

s8aR1X8.gif

I shot here back in 2010 after delivering my son to Texas A&M for the new school year. I had contacted the Campus Constable that I was going to be on-campus a certain day and that I would be attending an organized shoot afterwards. I explained I would have many rifles and lots of ammo in vehicle = his response, "Keep in vehicle and we will not have a problem" - never did see any Enforcement while unloading my son's stuff.

Interesting side note while unloading Son's Stuff - best boxes for packing books and heavy stuff is the large Hodgdon cardboard boxes from Powder Valley, except for the Explosive Red Diamond on side of boxes. My son's fellow classmates were concerned to point boxes were dumped out on his bed and returned empty to my camper. I laughed about it - nobody else saw the humor in it. Well, after giving my son a hug and a handshake, I was on my way to Marksville.

The shoot was on property managed by Dr Bryan McCann with targets at 450, 600, 800, 900, 1000, and 1760. All targets except specialty items were "Bowling Balls" - GREAT targets that move if not hit near dead center. As I was sighted for 1000 yards, I proceeded to break 6 balls after minor adjustments for windage and elevation. The off to a mile - took 12 shots to "Walk" rounds onto target bowling balls - quit after breaking 1 ball at a mile.
Closer targets were fun just jumping around testing myself at other distances.

The minivan complete with HOGG as the driver, 2X 20lb propane tanks, and 100 pounds of Tannerite under far seat frame, made for an explosive end of vehicle. Picking up pieces and placing in a pile afterwards, it was discovered that the "DieHard" (pun intended) battery survived the explosion.

The car with Tannerite at 900 yards did not explode the next day although it did generate smoke for hours.
My Blue-tipped Incendiary and Red-tipped Tracers were fun to shoot in a safe environment considering all the water surrounding the range.

Camping at night came with a warning - STAY INSIDE because of a 14 foot alligator that roamed thru the campground. After potty-training my Basset Hound MurphyT, getting him to pee & poop in shower of camper was a challenge, hopefully one not to be repeated.

Dr Bryan McCann and the SCSA were excellent hosts.

All calibers of firearms came out to shoot but 50BMG were the main guns.

(Please don't make political statements here - try to stay on target with your experiences shooting at this facility.)

Thank you for a GREAT FORUM.

Back