Fun in the Fog

stagpanther

Living on the coast of Maine means rarely having "ideal" weather for shooting; so unless you want to wait a long time for a perfect day--you do what you can.

I decided to see just how well I could do in a classic Maine "pea-souper" and selected my recent 280 AI build since I've done very little actual load development with it. Target is at 240 yds and I could barely make out a smudge. Had it not been for the errant shot at the upper left this would have been a pretty decent group. 150 gr eldx driven by 56.8 grs of 6.5 StaBall. StaBall might not be the ultimate in competition powder--but I have been very impressed by it's over-all performance across a wide variety of cartridges and conditions. I've used it from right around zero degrees all the way up to 80+

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4484.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 229
With my eyes, on a PERFECT day I could get rounds to that target as long as UPS were able to deliver them there. :(

With my eyes, on a PERFECT day I could get rounds to that target as long as UPS were able to deliver them there.
LOL--I bet you could if you got behind the rifle I put together. It actually is probably capable of far better groups than I'll ever be able to shoot.

Nice to hear about 6.5 Staball, I just picked up an 8 pounder and am deciding where.to use it. I’m thinking my Swedish Mauser will be a good candidate, my new peep sight set will be here Monday so maybe next week I’ll finally start working on a load.

Nice to hear about 6.5 Staball, I just picked up an 8 pounder and am deciding where.to use it. I’m thinking my Swedish Mauser will be a good candidate, my new peep sight set will be here Monday so maybe next week I’ll finally start working on a load.
I haven't found any "shoots .01 MOA all day and night even while I sleep" loads yet, but it works well enough in a broad range of conditions on different cartridges I've found. I'm sure you'll like it.

Last edited:
I haven't found any "shoots .01 MOA all day and night even while I sleep" loads yet, but it works well enough in a broad range of conditions on different cartridges I've found. I'm sure you'll like it.
The newer defensive laser weapons are about 0.02 MOA.
Would that be close enough?

Heck if I can shoot sub 4 MOA out to 100yds with irons and my eyes I’ll be tickled with the 6.5x55. I still have three different bullets in bulk to try in my AR10 and whichever one doesn’t work there I’ll try in the Mauser first.

I'd be VERY happy with 4 MOA shooting freehand at 100 with only irons. I can beat that at times when using a rest, but not often. I wish I could help you with swede info--all I can say it's one of the few cartridges that I almost never read anything negative about.

Nah, I’m figuring shooting off bags for load development. Shooting off hand beyond 50yds for me anymore, well that’s a whole other thing. Although I can shoot my Henry BBS’s in .41 and .357 at 100 and keep about 50% on a standard size sheet of paper on a good day. Many years ago I could do that with my model 57 though offhand. Sad to say those eyes and nerves are long gone now.

I know what you mean, I'm well north of 60 and my eyes aren't what they used to be. What I found out is that if I got the front iron out there far enough with enough sight radius between front and back, I could just get enough focus on the front bead if it were something like a tritium bead. I came up with a goofy design for a target, but it works really well for me because I can bracket the sides of the bead with tangents on the legs of the target "L."

attachment.php

Attachments

• target new.jpg
    target new.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 121
Back