Fun day at the range...

HarryB

Ah....
I finally got a free morning to finally head out tot he range before the Arizona sun could really get to me. It had been a while since I fired a rifle and I had a brand new Ruger 10/22T.

Set up my stand at fifty yards and first shot was on paper. A few more and I had my Tasco 2.5X10X50 dialed in. It was such a treat to press the trigger and see holes appear where the crosshairs were.

I tried 4 types of ammo today. PMC Zapper, Winchester Super X, Federal Gold Match, and CCI Green Tag. The wind was blowing quite a bit but I managed to keep all my groups under two inches. By far the best load was the Federal Match, but the "cheap" loads were quite accurate as well. The Green Tag shot about an inch low--maybe it doesn't have the velocity of the others.

Anyway for about two hours I had a great time shooting paper and the breeze with the others around me. I forgot what fun shooting a great .22 can be.

Ah.....
You don't realize how this my next purchase so mugh easier, I can't wait to experince the fun you just had !!!!

I went looking last saturday for a couple of used 22s, a pistol and a rifle. The pistol to teach with and the rifle to break my family into getting use to different guns in the house. I found a 1982 Ruger Mark 1 in 85%,$150, and it shots dead on, I had a ball at the range Friday working with my Glock 27 and playing with a couple of guys and this new toy, and is it quick and accurate. Oh yea I also found a 1966 Remington Nylon 66, $50,
at about 90%. Put a deposite on it I'll get it this week( they were closed when I went to pick it up).
Then its off to the range with a box of 550 for $9, what a great country.

Mini-22"s Later, Charlie

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited July 05, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Charlie (edited July 05, 1999).]

A bad day at the range will allways beat a good day at the office :)

I enjoy going for several reasons. I get to leave my worries at the gate and relax for a few hours. I get to practice and honestly judge my shooting skills (I stink and then sometimes I really suck). I get to offer advice to newer shooters and learn something from the "old timers". It's a shame that so many people miss out on this because of their fear and/or ignorance of guns.

Back